cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic Database Selection in Execute a SQL Query

Hi all,

I am currently working on an PowerApp for editing a certain table that is common between several of our databases. 

I need to be able to specify, through the PowerApp, which database (chosen from a list) to connect to and pull data from.  Unfortunately Execute a SQL Query (V2) doesn't seem to like dynamic parameters for the Database input and tells me the datasource is invalid.

My question is.. is there any way to do this?  Specifying the database to connect to as a parameter for the flow at runtime.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

There is no support at this point for dynamic selection of the database, since it is used to create the connector.  The only workaround I've seen is to use a switch that keys off the database and then use multiple connectors pre-configured for each database.  When you select a specific database it switches to a parallel path that uses the appropriate connection.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

There is no support at this point for dynamic selection of the database, since it is used to create the connector.  The only workaround I've seen is to use a switch that keys off the database and then use multiple connectors pre-configured for each database.  When you select a specific database it switches to a parallel path that uses the appropriate connection.

View solution in original post

Hi @Pstork1, thank you for your response.

I am trying to achieve the method you described in your response using the switch statement, however I am having trouble using more than one connection.  Are multiple SQL connections not supported?

Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Sorry, I used the wrong terminology.  Assuming you are hitting the same server and the same database you only need one connection.  But you would create multiple Actions in parallel paths in the switch statement.

screenshot.png

@Pstork1  You had it right initially lol.  I was hitting the same server but different databases.

Figured it out though.  You can click the vertical ellipsis on the side of the Execute a SQL Query action to change the connection.

Appreciate your help 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (7,219)