cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ellean
Helper I
Helper I

Email Draft/Template Storage and Usage

Hello everyone. I am having a problem with sending emails in Power Automate. I am working to build a centralized email template repository for my team. Yet sending email through Power Automate, whether I am using Outlook or gmail, I am required to copy/paste the email into the flow. I don't understand that. PA doesn't use Outlook templates either. There is no way to access gmail templates/drafts. So, I can store email templates in Google Drive or OneDrive, but Power Automate can't use them anyway. I feel like I must be missing something.

Additionally, if I do copy/paste the email into PA, my signature isn't attached to the message. If I use the gmail connector, it seems my gmail signature should be affixed. Am I expecting too much? There is a gmail add-on called mail merge with attachments, and the interface allows for using gmail drafts/canned responses. Of course, that doesn't help my repository situation, but it certainly is a preferable way to send emails.

Can someone please help guide me in the right direction? Thank you for your time and help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-alzhan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ellean ,

Sorry there is no any way to use the email template to send email in microsoft flow currently.

However, you could create a template flow with the email, and then you could copy the template flow and update it to send the email.

Best regards,

Alice       

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-alzhan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ellean ,

Sorry there is no any way to use the email template to send email in microsoft flow currently.

However, you could create a template flow with the email, and then you could copy the template flow and update it to send the email.

Best regards,

Alice       

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Thanks for your reply, @v-alzhan-msft. I am baffled at there not being an ability to send an email template. Is there any information you could share on the developer's rationale for this? It seems like the most obvious function.

I do not understand your suggestion regarding the flow. Could you please be more specific?

Additionally, would it be possible for one to build their own gmail connector? The Google API clearly allows for draft/canned responses sending, given my example of mail merge with attachments, so at least I could use that.

Hi @ellean ,

you can get an email template from any folder of your Outlook 365 mailbox using GRAPH API.

Just execute "Invoke an HTTP request" action.

HaveeLand
Frequent Visitor

Hello Ellean,

Hopefully, I am not over simplifying your issue or misunderstanding it. 

I can not use email template files either but I was able to use Power Automate to generate my own "email template". 

I use dynamic emails. In other words, I created a variable called: vDistributionList and assigned it the email addresses that I needed on it (ex: Mickey@blah.com; Donald@blah.com;Minnie@blah.com) then I was able to use vDistributionList as my TO: field in the create a outlook message.  Then depending on conditions of my Power Automate Flow, I can change the value of vDistributionList to a different group of people.

The narrative for my email is stock wording just like a template.

I have had success with these Power Automate Flow email templates.

Good Luck

Thank you for your suggestion @VictorIvanidze . Unfortunately, I don't know what Microsoft Graph is and the "invoke HTTP request" is a premium feature in Power Animate. If you'd like to give further directions I am happy to give your method a shot, but you'll have to give me more information.

My main problem with this method is having an email Signature. I have a stylized signature with embedded images, and I cannot figure out how to get it to show up properly in the gmail send email V2 connector. I am also finding that the gmail connector does not attach my signature, and that is frustrating. I appreciate your help @HaveeLand. I may be being dense, but I signatures are an important part of how my institution formats their emails.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Microsoft Ignite 768x460.png

Find your focus

Explore the latest tools,training sessions,technical expertise, networking and more.

Users online (2,028)