cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oscart
Level: Powered On

FLOW permissions

Hi all,

I created a flow within a POWERAPP that was working great when I did the initial tests.

However, when I tested with someone else within my organization I got this message:

error.png

How the Powerapp works is:

-The user submit a form into a Sharepoint list (which they have access to)

-When they submit, the flow creates a document from another Sharepoint list (which they do not have access) and creates a link to this document, which is included later into an e-mail.

I am looking for a way to make the flow run on behalf of myself rather than the user (I think that was the problem). 

Any suggestions?

You can see the flow and where it fails here:

where it fails.PNG

I could not find anything related to my issue so far. Any idea?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: FLOW permissions

Hi @oscart ,

Right. If a Flow is started through PowerApps button then the Flow will run in the context of the user who started it, not in the context of the original Flow maker. They may not have the appropriate permissions to perform other actions.

But if you start a Flow using a Trigger like SharePoint - When an Item is created then the Flow runs in the context of the original Flow maker.

So if the role of manual trigger is to create a new File, you could use When a file is created (properties only) / When an item is created as a trigger directly.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @oscart ,

Right. If a Flow is started through PowerApps button then the Flow will run in the context of the user who started it, not in the context of the original Flow maker. They may not have the appropriate permissions to perform other actions.

But if you start a Flow using a Trigger like SharePoint - When an Item is created then the Flow runs in the context of the original Flow maker.

So if the role of manual trigger is to create a new File, you could use When a file is created (properties only) / When an item is created as a trigger directly.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

oscart
Level: Powered On

Thanks @v-bacao-msft.

I implemented that turn-around and it works quite well; however, as the flow responded to the PowerApp simulating this with the new process created a little delay in my whole process but it is not significant.

It would be nice if a connector within the flow could help me determine who will run the processes though.

The response is appreciated.

Oscar

SamPo
Level 8

Hi @oscart 

Another workaround you can use is to create a go-between flow that will call the actual flow you want to run.

Create a new flow that will be called by your PowerApp. This flow will only have one action: HTTP Call to your actual flow you want to run. Use the response option to return values from your actual flow to the flow triggered from the PowerApp. This way the first flow will be run as the user but the second flow will be run as you hence getting around this issue.

Hope this helps,

Sam

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 391 members 6,745 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: