cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper I
Helper I

Failure to Fetch

This morning I created a flow.  It ran successfully.  Shortly thereafter, I went in to edit it and received the "Failure to Fetch" message before changing anything.  Now I'm receiving this message on all of my flows in both of my environments. I've deleted and recreated my connections in both Chrome and Edge with no luck.

Any idea if this is a MS service issue? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

And they're back again this morning.  I really love what this tool can do, but this is getting ridiculous.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ErinCannon ,

Could you share a screenshot on the error message?

Are you still having this issue?

I have just tried editing existing flows, no error message occurs.

I assume that it might be a temporary issue, please try again with it to see if it works now.

Best regards,
Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The failure to fetch errors did resolve themselves by the next business day.  I am guessing it was an outtage on the government tennant or perhaps just my organization since I was able to create flows in my non-government environment at that time.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

And they're back again this morning.  I really love what this tool can do, but this is getting ridiculous.

View solution in original post

Hi @ErinCannon ,

Thanks for updating and glad to hear that it is working for you now.

I assume that it is a temporary issue. Whenever you have problems with Microsoft Flow, feel free post you issue at here, we are always ready to help.

Best regards,

Mabel  

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm getting this issue as well. I thought it was random but I am able to reproduce it. After I open the flow, it will always be the second step that I click on to edit. I have a bunch of "Update row" Excel steps, and it can be any order, but it will always appear on the second one I expand. A generic "Failed to fetch" error will appear at the top in a red box with no details. I had to repair some Excel connections that were broken, and I have access to all the Excel files I am updating.

I'm facing the same issue. Always related to Excel Online Business features.

When I build the flow, everything works. But when I need to Edit it for some reason, the message Failed to Fetch appear on all my excel instances.

I've already tried to reconnect the Individual Excel Connection and exclude my Microsoft Edge cache and restart my pc, but it didn't work.

The only thing that "solves" the problem and allows me to edit and save was delete the "instance" and rebuild it or disconnect my general excel connection and connect it again. When I did it, I was able to edit it one time.
But when I come back to edit again, the same problem appear.

The problem with both solution is that:

1 - Reconnect the General Excel Connection: Obligates me to mannually connect all my instances again;

2 - Delete the instance and rebuild it: For each excel instance inside my flow. It's insane.

Someone discovered how to solve this issue?

Its occurring for a long time, so it's not temporary.

Frequent Visitor

Hello all,

I've been thinking of this problem at large since I had it too. I've run some tests with Fiddler which lets you monitor all http requests done (among other things) when opening web pages or software since I thought that maybe I the problem could be in too many calls being done by the connectors to the microsoft APIs and being throttled as a result. This turned out to be true since when I opened my Flow in edit mode while monitoring the calls made to APIs I could see that some of them were returning the 429 error which corresponds to too many requests.

This means that microsoft is stopping me from continuing doing calls to them and getting all the info I need for my flow to load all the pertinent data and show it to me. That's why I was getting the Failed to fetch error.

I had previously whitlisted all the domains and IP addresses listed here as it was indicated in microsoft documentation to rule out this being the problem: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4557620/client-request-aborted-or-failed-to-fetch-error-in-...  

Since AFTER doing that the problem persisted I thought on how many calls where my connections making to the microsoft APIs and if this could be the culprit and it effectively was. What you want is not to have a single connection per service used but many to distribute the calls and not get throttled.

There's 2 solutions to get out of this problem, the first one is to create more connections for the same service within the flow you are writing. So you would have to go into the elypsis of one of your actions (of the problematic connector, in my case Excel ones) and from there create extra connections. Once you've done that you can randomize the use of those between all the actions that are from the same service (ie excel). 

That will mean that your actions will use different connections to make the call and will not get throttled.

The second solution is to partition your original flow. This would mean build a squeleton flow which would then call different parts of your original flow. This approach has to be handled with caution since before starting you need to make sure to know how to handle data through JSON and also since if you (and your users) are all licensed up properly (in case you are thinking on using HTTP requests to move data between the different flows since that is a premium connector).

The way to do this without a Power Automate per user license would be to use the Solutions section of your Power Automate studio. 

A solution is  basically a container that allows you to save different related flows into it. The advantage of doing this is you can then call all flows contained in your solution from one another. You'd do this using the CHILD FLOW action which will only appear if you have saved all your related flows inside the same solution (AND created them inside the solution as well and not outside and then imported them in, since this can bring problems as well).

Hope all this info is helpful since it took me days to solve all this.

Regards,

Pablo

EDIT: Go to bottom for "solution".

Pablo,

I think you are right about the amount of connection per flow...errr maybe it is API calls. I have used "scope" in my flows to keep a top layer and not be so busy. I have 12 scopes and each scope connects via Excel Online Business to an Excel document hosted on SharePoint (I don't connect to SharePoint). Basically when I go to edit, I have 12 scopes with 24 connections to Excel Online Business. I started to see this error at around Scope 10. So, maybe I am thinking 20 connection per flow is the max. Now "who" limits this connection, I am unsure of, is this SharePoint, Excel Online Business, Power Automate, a load balancer, AD....etc? I am unsure exactly how Excel Online Business connects to my SharePoint Excel file and I am really not going to dig it up, but it could be worth looking into. Documentation says it throttles at 100 api calls. Also states some kind of column ID limit of two while working on one table - this is not my issue. I use a "key" column that I insert into the table for each write and use that key to help with my delete table flow I run at a different time on a separate flow.

Thinking more about API, each scope has one "Insert Row into Table", and one "Update Row". I wonder how many API calls for each function and when I open up my flow for edit, does it hold those API calls in cache? I'm thinking too much on this. 

I like the idea of creating two connections to randomize, but ultimately what I am going to do is partition the flow out to two separate flows because I have them nice and tidy using scope. I can just copy the scope to clipboard and move to a new flow and pick up where the first flow stopped, then schedule them hours apart. I'll shoot for 10 scopes per flow which is 20 connections and see how it runs. 

I will update and let you know what happened. 

EDIT: Okay, first I wish I had a real database but I can't in my environment. I am technically using Excel as a temporary "view" then dumping that data into a single table for PowerBI to consume. Anyway, this is what I found out and now have my stuff working again:

1. Make sure your "calls" are not repeated. In other words, if you have an "apply for each" and say it uses the value from Excel's Online Business list rows value(lets call it >> value('List_rows_present_in_table_7')?['value']). Don't use that same value somewhere else is the code. Excel Business Online does not like that.  I had a couple of issues with not only this connector, but doing it with others and making spaghetti low code.  
  2. Minimize your add row calls from Excel. Even with fixing #1, around 20 calls, I would still get network errors. The delete rows no issue, add rows a different animal and I could feel the flow getting sluggish. 
  3. Lastly, use "scope" to keep a top level and organize the flows. This helped fixing individual flows. And don't call outside the scope either unless it is a variable (because this must be outside the scope). 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (45,812)