cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rthomas

Flow to Update File?

Hi there,

I am trying to figure out how to set a flow that when I update a file in Dropbox, it automatically updates the file in Sharepoint. I have successfully set up the basic flow to get a file from DB to Sharepoint...but this updating thing has me stumped.

I'm just going for a basic scenario that assumes that the file location hasn't changed for either file.

Any ideas? 

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
v-micsh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Rthomas,

Could you please share the errors in your flow, so that we could take a further investigation?

I would say I also stucked at the file path part. But got this one working.

See the details from my testing:

21.PNG

Based on what I have tested, when selecting the DropBox available function "When a file is modified", it will only accept a file path, so if we would just want to update one file, then please specify a special folder for the file in DropBox, after that, we could click on the folder icon, and navigate to the proper folder;

After that, click to add an action, choose SharePoint "Update File", enter the site URL in the "site URL" box, then under the File identifier, click on the folder icon and navigate to the File that you would like to update (Well, I have wrongly choose the File path from the auto-generated content in DropBox, which won't work),

After that, under the File content, we could choose the File Content, click save.

22.PNG

Please test this one and see if it would work for you. Or if you need any further assistance regarding file update, please feel free to post back.

By the way, there are templates available to Copy the file between DropBox and SharePoint,vice versa, see:

Copy file between Dropbox and SharePoint

Regards

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Michael -

I was able to get it to update a single file as you were, but what I want it to do is overwrite the file on Sharepoint if I save a new version on Dropbox, without building a unique flow for each file.

The issue is I am the only one in my company using a Mac, and we have begun moving all our files from Dropbox to Sharepoint. Unfortunately, it is currently impossible for Macs to map to a shared, cloud-based Sharepoint site (or, if it is possible, we haven't found anyone who can tell us how to do it)

The hope was to use this flow as a work around so that I could automatically drop things in Sharepoint (from Dropbox) and save over them as I was working on them, instead of having to save locally, open up the web version, save it there, and then delete the local file every time.

For the record though, these are the steps I went through in building my flow:

Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 8.28.12 AM.png

Again, the goal was that when any file in that Dropbox file was modified, the corresponding file in Sharepoint would be updated. This is the error I got: 

Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 8.31.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 8.31.20 AM.png

It's easier just to cut and paste the error message in the "Body Portion":

Runtime Error

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on the local server machine, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "RemoteOnly". To enable the details to be viewable on remote machines, please set "mode" to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File --> <configuration> <system.web> <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly"/> </system.web> </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File --> <configuration> <system.web> <customErrors mode="On" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/> </system.web> </configuration>

Hi Rthomas,

I don't think the File identifier auto generated from DropBox would work under SharePoint Update item part.

I tried that firstly, and the URL generated by the Microsoft Flow, won't work for the service to locate the files under SharePoint, that is why I suggest to navigate to the single file.

For amount of files, currently I don't think this is available.

We may submit an idea on this topic, either create a new action regarding SharePoint update, or add the advanced options when we configure the file identifier.

The error message you posted should be related with the Microsoft Flow server, as I suspect that it can't handle the error message output currently, which should indicate that it should being updated.

Regards

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, RThomas. Were you ever able to get this to work? I'm attempting the same thing and having the same issue you had.

Unfortunately, no. It's a giant pain and something that I hope they add as functionality later. Best of luck! 

Too bad. Fingers crossed they get on it soon!

Almost a year on. Any news? Very much need this to work.

Not that I am aware of, but honestly, they made it possible to map SharePoint to my Mac so I haven't needed it. The original scenario was a potential work around until the mapping issue got fixed, as I am the only one in our org with a Mac. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, How can we update the recently created file in sharepoint.

I want to populate its Document ID on the document.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,335)