cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bouillons
Helper V
Helper V

How to build a custom connector to retrieve data from sharepoint ?

Hi, I have a scenario where I have a bunch of related lists in sharepoint online. For example a list with our Point of Sales addresses, another one with the opening hours of each Point of Sales, another one with the employees, etc...

Our finance department would like to access this info programmatically for some of their reporting needs. One alternative is to tell them to use the sharepoint api and get the data from each list, but I'm looking to offer them an easier solution and my idea was to create a custom 'Point of Sales' connector that has a few simple operations such as /getallpos to get the all the consolidated data in a single call, or /getpos/{posid} to get the info of a single point of sales. This is all internal to our tenant, but I do need to secure some of the data, so I also want to do some authentication of who is calling my connector, because I don't want to give everybody access to the underlying sharepoint lists.

Is a custom connector the right solution for this scenario, or are there better approaches ? Has somebody built a similar scenario sample that I can use to get started ? I've seen a lot of samples accessing external api's but haven't found one that connects to sharepoint.

Stephane

Stephane

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Good morning,

Okay now I got a picture.

Let me come to your first question.

It is making a difference if you are using SPO or SP onPrem, cause you would need to establish a connection to your onprem environment via a gateway to fetch data from your SP onPrem. With SP Online you can directly call the SP REST API without entering any firewall secured environments.

But its good that we are talking about SPO!

I also now understood your usecase.

I would say that Power Automate is the wrong technology for your usecase.

I will explain later why I think its not the best idea, but first I would try to show you my idea how

I would build this if I needed to.

So if you want to create this with Power Automate I would concider to do the following:

I would create a flow that will represent your API, you would start with a request trigger (https://flow.microsoft.com/fr-fr/blog/call-flow-restapi/) so your flow gets an rest endpoint.

The trigger is a post endpoint and you can define your JSON Schema. I would give the endpoint the name of your "function" (eg. getallpos or getpos or something else) so the flow knows what to do.

Now you could call your SharePoint lists to fetch the data based on the info you get from the trigger body.

You would need to to some merging operations to build a json that can be send back to the requester.

So you might need some foreach loops etc. It could look like this:

powercorner_0-1618739251296.png

Now you could save the flow and call the endpoint to get the data you requested.

This is working, buuuuut... we have some problems here.

So first the loops inside the power automate are reeeeeally slow. So when you start to merge data from different SharePoint lists and parse your json manually, it will tak you ages for big datasets (lets say bigger then 250 items) So it might happen that your client will run into a timeout when calling the rest endpoint of your flow. In addition your client would need an power automate licensed account. And I am not talking about the E3 lisences, I talk about the per Flow or per User plan. 

So all together, yes it is possible, but its not having a good performance and its expensive.

So what are your alternatives?

1. A custom connector itself cannot help you, cause its is not possible to give a custom connector logic, which would give you data from differrent lists at once.

2. Another posiblity is to do this in Azure with a logic app (https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/azure/logic-apps/logic-apps-overview). Its technically the same. The difference is that you do not need a power automate licensed account in order to call the flow. The performance is still bad (maybe it could be better cause you could use javascript to process your sharepoint items parsing a json), but you could have this at least less expensive.

3. So the cleanest way to implement your a good solution for you would building your own web api. So I would consider doing it with Azure functions. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/modules/build-api-azure-functions/ You could easily build up your logic inside the function and then make the endpoint available for your client. This would be clean, not expensive and the performance is much better.

Let me know if my answer was clear or if you need any further assistance on the other topic, cause we are leaving the power automate scope here.

With regards
Kevin

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
powercorner
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hello Stephane I think your approach with a custom connector doesnt make sense here.

So what I understood is that you have some sharepoint lists like "Point of Sales" and so on...

First of all, is your sharepoint on prem or is it sharepoint online?

If you need to get access to the sharepoint list you are completely right, you could give your finance department rights to access the list and call the sharepoint rest api.

When it comes to securing data you should secure it on the list itself and not inside the flow. 

But let us start form the beginning, when we clear thes questions we will find a solution for you:

SP online or Onprem?

What kind of reports? Excel? PowerBI?

To the finance guys need to get access to the whole data?

What means programatically? Do they use it in some code? PowerShell or Javascript? 

if you do not give everybody permissions on the Lists, you should not have the problem to audit the access. 

Is this still a Power Automate topic? 

I feel that you trying to access SharePoint data from some other code to make reports.

This is more a SharePoint topic and how to secure the SharePoint for your usecase?

Tell me more, I am curious to help you 🙂

With regards,

Kevin

bouillons
Helper V
Helper V

It's SP Online. But it shouldn't matter does it ? If my data was in SQL, I'd still want an API in front of it with operations that make sense to the consuming client ? I want a simple query that gets data from different sources at once. It just so happens that in my case the data sits in SharePoint.

When I say programmatically, I want a downstream system to be able to request data about a point of sales (preferably via a web api call).

I will give the client (user in our tenant) the rights to access the underlying data, without giving open access to everyone. If I were to word it differently:

http://myappapi/getallpos ---> get the data from different sharepoint lists (or whichever datasource the data resides in) & return as one result

http://myappapi/getpos/5 ---> get the data from pos nr 5 and return it to the client

What they do with the data in their own application doesn't really matter to me. Just display it in a custom app (for example (SAP Fiori), use it in a report or whatever their need is.

I've seen other custom connector examples that get information from github, it's just that in my case the data sits in sharepoint within my own tenant. Makes sense ?

Good morning,

Okay now I got a picture.

Let me come to your first question.

It is making a difference if you are using SPO or SP onPrem, cause you would need to establish a connection to your onprem environment via a gateway to fetch data from your SP onPrem. With SP Online you can directly call the SP REST API without entering any firewall secured environments.

But its good that we are talking about SPO!

I also now understood your usecase.

I would say that Power Automate is the wrong technology for your usecase.

I will explain later why I think its not the best idea, but first I would try to show you my idea how

I would build this if I needed to.

So if you want to create this with Power Automate I would concider to do the following:

I would create a flow that will represent your API, you would start with a request trigger (https://flow.microsoft.com/fr-fr/blog/call-flow-restapi/) so your flow gets an rest endpoint.

The trigger is a post endpoint and you can define your JSON Schema. I would give the endpoint the name of your "function" (eg. getallpos or getpos or something else) so the flow knows what to do.

Now you could call your SharePoint lists to fetch the data based on the info you get from the trigger body.

You would need to to some merging operations to build a json that can be send back to the requester.

So you might need some foreach loops etc. It could look like this:

powercorner_0-1618739251296.png

Now you could save the flow and call the endpoint to get the data you requested.

This is working, buuuuut... we have some problems here.

So first the loops inside the power automate are reeeeeally slow. So when you start to merge data from different SharePoint lists and parse your json manually, it will tak you ages for big datasets (lets say bigger then 250 items) So it might happen that your client will run into a timeout when calling the rest endpoint of your flow. In addition your client would need an power automate licensed account. And I am not talking about the E3 lisences, I talk about the per Flow or per User plan. 

So all together, yes it is possible, but its not having a good performance and its expensive.

So what are your alternatives?

1. A custom connector itself cannot help you, cause its is not possible to give a custom connector logic, which would give you data from differrent lists at once.

2. Another posiblity is to do this in Azure with a logic app (https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/azure/logic-apps/logic-apps-overview). Its technically the same. The difference is that you do not need a power automate licensed account in order to call the flow. The performance is still bad (maybe it could be better cause you could use javascript to process your sharepoint items parsing a json), but you could have this at least less expensive.

3. So the cleanest way to implement your a good solution for you would building your own web api. So I would consider doing it with Azure functions. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/modules/build-api-azure-functions/ You could easily build up your logic inside the function and then make the endpoint available for your client. This would be clean, not expensive and the performance is much better.

Let me know if my answer was clear or if you need any further assistance on the other topic, cause we are leaving the power automate scope here.

With regards
Kevin

bouillons
Helper V
Helper V

Thanks Kevin for spending time and effort to give a clear explanation, it is very much appreciated.

Stephane

you are very welcome 🙂

bouillons
Helper V
Helper V

I implemented the single point of sales get request. Works like a charm, and quite fast as well 🙂

bouillons_0-1618862229685.png

I also have a functional GetAllPOS version, but the Apply for Each is horribly slow. I'm still trying to optimize, but haven't got it to respond below 2 minutes yet.

Stephane

Helpful resources

Announcements

Exclusive LIVE Community Event: Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat with Copilot Studio Product Team

It's time for the SECOND Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat featuring the Copilot Studio product team, which will be held LIVE on April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).     This is an incredible opportunity to connect with members of the Copilot Studio product team and ask them anything about Copilot Studio. We'll share our special guests with you shortly--but we want to encourage to mark your calendars now because you will not want to miss the conversation.   This live event will give you the unique opportunity to learn more about Copilot Studio plans, where we’ll focus, and get insight into upcoming features. We’re looking forward to hearing from the community, so bring your questions!   TO GET ACCESS TO THIS EXCLUSIVE AMA: Kudo this post to reserve your spot! Reserve your spot now by kudoing this post.  Reservations will be prioritized on when your kudo for the post comes through, so don't wait! Click that "kudo button" today.   Invitations will be sent on April 2nd.Users posting Kudos after April 2nd at 9AM PDT may not receive an invitation but will be able to view the session online after conclusion of the event. Give your "kudo" today and mark your calendars for April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM PDT and join us for an engaging and informative session!

Tuesday Tip: Unlocking Community Achievements and Earning Badges

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!     THIS WEEK'S TIP: Unlocking Achievements and Earning BadgesAcross the Communities, you'll see badges on users profile that recognize and reward their engagement and contributions. These badges each signify a different achievement--and all of those achievements are available to any Community member! If you're a seasoned pro or just getting started, you too can earn badges for the great work you do. Check out some details on Community badges below--and find out more in the detailed link at the end of the article!       A Diverse Range of Badges to Collect The badges you can earn in the Community cover a wide array of activities, including: Kudos Received: Acknowledges the number of times a user’s post has been appreciated with a “Kudo.”Kudos Given: Highlights the user’s generosity in recognizing others’ contributions.Topics Created: Tracks the number of discussions initiated by a user.Solutions Provided: Celebrates the instances where a user’s response is marked as the correct solution.Reply: Counts the number of times a user has engaged with community discussions.Blog Contributor: Honors those who contribute valuable content and are invited to write for the community blog.       A Community Evolving Together Badges are not only a great way to recognize outstanding contributions of our amazing Community members--they are also a way to continue fostering a collaborative and supportive environment. As you continue to share your knowledge and assist each other these badges serve as a visual representation of your valuable contributions.   Find out more about badges in these Community Support pages in each Community: All About Community Badges - Power Apps CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Automate CommunityAll About Community Badges - Copilot Studio CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Pages Community

Tuesday Tips: Powering Up Your Community Profile

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!   This Week's Tip: Power Up Your Profile!  🚀 It's where every Community member gets their start, and it's essential that you keep it updated! Your Community User Profile is how you're able to get messages, post solutions, ask questions--and as you rank up, it's where your badges will appear and how you'll be known when you start blogging in the Community Blog. Your Community User Profile is how the Community knows you--so it's essential that it works the way you need it to! From changing your username to updating contact information, this Knowledge Base Article is your best resource for powering up your profile.     Password Puzzles? No Problem! Find out how to sync your Azure AD password with your community account, ensuring a seamless sign-in. No separate passwords to remember! Job Jumps & Email Swaps Changed jobs? Got a new email? Fear not! You'll find out how to link your shiny new email to your existing community account, keeping your contributions and connections intact. Username Uncertainties Unraveled Picking the perfect username is crucial--and sometimes the original choice you signed up with doesn't fit as well as you may have thought. There's a quick way to request an update here--but remember, your username is your community identity, so choose wisely. "Need Admin Approval" Warning Window? If you see this error message while using the community, don't worry. A simple process will help you get where you need to go. If you still need assistance, find out how to contact your Community Support team. Whatever you're looking for, when it comes to your profile, the Community Account Support Knowledge Base article is your treasure trove of tips as you navigate the nuances of your Community Profile. It’s the ultimate resource for keeping your digital identity in tip-top shape while engaging with the Power Platform Community. So, dive in and power up your profile today!  💪🚀   Community Account Support | Power Apps Community Account Support | Power AutomateCommunity Account Support | Copilot Studio  Community Account Support | Power Pages

Super User of the Month | Chris Piasecki

In our 2nd installment of this new ongoing feature in the Community, we're thrilled to announce that Chris Piasecki is our Super User of the Month for March 2024. If you've been in the Community for a while, we're sure you've seen a comment or marked one of Chris' helpful tips as a solution--he's been a Super User for SEVEN consecutive seasons!   Since authoring his first reply in April 2020 to his most recent achievement organizing the Canadian Power Platform Summit this month, Chris has helped countless Community members with his insights and expertise. In addition to being a Super User, Chris is also a User Group leader, Microsoft MVP, and a featured speaker at the Microsoft Power Platform Conference. His contributions to the new SUIT program, along with his joyous personality and willingness to jump in and help so many members has made Chris a fixture in the Power Platform Community.   When Chris isn't authoring solutions or organizing events, he's actively leading Piasecki Consulting, specializing in solution architecture, integration, DevOps, and more--helping clients discover how to strategize and implement Microsoft's technology platforms. We are grateful for Chris' insightful help in the Community and look forward to even more amazing milestones as he continues to assist so many with his great tips, solutions--always with a smile and a great sense of humor.You can find Chris in the Community and on LinkedIn. Thanks for being such a SUPER user, Chris! 💪 🌠  

Find Out What Makes Super Users So Super

We know many of you visit the Power Platform Communities to ask questions and receive answers. But do you know that many of our best answers and solutions come from Community members who are super active, helping anyone who needs a little help getting unstuck with Business Applications products? We call these dedicated Community members Super Users because they are the real heroes in the Community, willing to jump in whenever they can to help! Maybe you've encountered them yourself and they've solved some of your biggest questions. Have you ever wondered, "Why?"We interviewed several of our Super Users to understand what drives them to help in the Community--and discover the difference it has made in their lives as well! Take a look in our gallery today: What Motivates a Super User? - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

March User Group Update: New Groups and Upcoming Events!

Welcome to this month’s celebration of our Community User Groups and exciting User Group events. We’re thrilled to introduce some brand-new user groups that have recently joined our vibrant community. Plus, we’ve got a lineup of engaging events you won’t want to miss. Let’s jump right in: New User Groups   Sacramento Power Platform GroupANZ Power Platform COE User GroupPower Platform MongoliaPower Platform User Group OmanPower Platform User Group Delta StateMid Michigan Power Platform Upcoming Events  DUG4MFG - Quarterly Meetup - Microsoft Demand PlanningDate: 19 Mar 2024 | 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Dive into the world of manufacturing with a focus on Demand Planning. Learn from industry experts and share your insights. Dynamics User Group HoustonDate: 07 Mar 2024 | 11:00 AM to 01:00 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Houston, get ready for an immersive session on Dynamics 365 and the Power Platform. Connect with fellow professionals and expand your knowledge. Reading Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Group (Q1)Date: 05 Mar 2024 | 06:00 PM to 09:00 PM GMT Standard TimeDescription: Join our virtual meetup for insightful discussions, demos, and community updates. Let’s kick off Q1 with a bang! Leaders, Create Your Events!  Leaders of existing User Groups, don’t forget to create your events within the Community platform. By doing so, you’ll enable us to share them in future posts and newsletters. Let’s spread the word and make these gatherings even more impactful! Stay tuned for more updates, inspiring stories, and collaborative opportunities from and for our Community User Groups.   P.S. Have an event or success story to share? Reach out to us – we’d love to feature you!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (6,187)