cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brian2M
Level: Powered On

Limit Columns by View not working

We have a sharepoint document library that we recently added more lookup columns.   We have a view that only has a couple of these new values showing, and everything looks good in sharepoint.   When we try to do a Get item, while using the Limit Columns by View option, Flow it keeps returning back a 400 error 

{
  "status": 400,
  "message": "The query cannot be completed because the number of lookup columns it contains exceeds the lookup column threshold enforced by the administrator.\r\nclientRequestId: ...."
}

The View that we are using only contains 4 lookup values.    We did notice when we limited it down to a single field it was successful.   The data returned appeared to have several more field than just the view.   Most of these appeared to be mandatory fields.  

Here is an Example of the flow:

Example_Flow.png

Any ideas how to get this to work?    Do we need to do a different type of call, perhaps a REST call?

14 REPLIES 14
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Limit Columns by View not working

Hi @Brian2M,

Could you please share more details about the sharepoint list?

I have made a test on my side to create four lookup columns and don't have the issue that you mentioned.

Dose the Test Flow Customer column is a lookup column in the sharepoint list?

Please share more details so we could try to provide a proper workaround for you.

Best regards,

Alice

Administrator
Administrator

Hey, @Brian2M!

It appears as though @v-yuazh-msft would like some more information in order to further assist you properly with your issue. Please share any additional information that was requested in order to decrease the amount of time that it will take for you to be assisted!

Thank you for being an active member of the Flow Community!

-Gabriel
Flow Community Manager

-Gabriel
Microsoft Power Automate Community Manager
Are YOU a member of your local Power Automate User Group?
Fill out This Form to claim your Community User Group Member Badge!
hassaanahmad

I have a similar issue to Brian2M - it appears that my SharePoint View has no effect upon the queried columns when using the 'Limit Columns by View' feature. 

For background, I have a SharePoint list which handles several content types. I've created corresponding Views that match the columns of those content types. For example, I have a SharePoint view titled 'TM1' which only includes the following columns: 

Picture1.png

As shown above, only seven (7) of about ~40 columns are selected for this particular SharePoint View. Consequently, when I use the 'Get Item' Microsoft Flow function, and when I 'Limit Columns by View' using this SharePoint View, I expect to query only those seven (7) fields. However, this is not the case. In fact, different columns are queried altogether. See the screenshot below.

Picture2.png

Is there a reason for this behaviour? I want to ensure that the columns selected in a custom SharePoint View are properly queried by the Microsoft Flow >> SharePoint Action >> Get Item >> 'Limit Columns by View' feature. Thanks.

gabrieldedeco

I have the same problem. Did you get any workarounds or solutions?

dimi
Level 10

We are facing the same problem, we have a SharePoint list A that contains 4000 items, we created a view (lets name it B) that has 100 items of the list A. When using the Get Item action limit columns by view, we are receiving teh complete List A instead of the 100 items in the view B.

Any suggestions please? Is it possible to retrieve only items that aere in a view?

Kind regards

Shrike

Please, could you tell us if this issue is resolved or not ?

I have the same issue and my tests fail everytime

dipique

I have the same issue. When querying for document library properties, the query omits some columns from the specified list while including many columns not contained in the view. I even tried creating and saving a brand new view to ensure it wasn't just caching the view.

The flow is triggered by another flow via HTTP request, and the first flow uses a different view. I can't help but wonder if it is re-using the old configuration for the query.

dvfaquino
Level: Power Up

It seems like the solution to this is to just add an additional Get Item action and grab the original item, which will now contain all the fields for the selected view or everything when not limiting by view.

dimi
Level 10

@dvfaquino 

This is not a solution but a workarround Smiley LOL

marday

Having the same issue.  Trying to limit by view.  List is a using the modern experience.  View is working correctly, but still trys to return all of the items in the list.

Celdry

I have a sharepoint list with over 700 items and I want to grab data from just one column, which should have about 4-5 items, so I'm filtering the "Get Items" with "Limit Columns By View" function. 

filter by.PNG

Even after filtering in the Get Items window, I'm still generating all of my data. It's not getting filtered. 

700items.PNG

Can anyone help me on this one? I guess this used to be a bug, is there anywhere where it is still being looked at?

Cel

lvg

still no solution?

Celdry

@v-yuazh-msft 

Highlighted
dimi
Level 10

@Celdry, @marday  & @lvg ,

You can use the Filter Query to filter down the results you want, use the same filter condition you are using in your view(s). This works fine.

Let me know if you need any help with the Filter Query.

Good luck!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,116)