Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level: Power Up

Matching Appovers to D365 Users

I have a use case where every new organisation record needs to be approved or rejected. Creating that flow is simple enough. The next requirement though is causing me a headache:

The organisation record needs to be updated with the name of the approver. Currently the custom "Approved by" field on the Organisation form is a Lookup (to Users). Back in the Flow I created a step after the approval process to update the record and field. The "Approved by" field which needs updating won't accept the 'Approver email' value. Or any value from the approval step.

Any ideas on how I can get an acceptable ID value for the approver that will be accepted in the D365 lookup field?
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Matching Appovers to D365 Users

Hi @Tommygee,


Could you share a screenshot of your flow?

What’s the error message you’ve got?

I am trying to reproduce this issue, please share more detail to help reproduce.


Best regards,


Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Super User
Super User

Re: Matching Appovers to D365 Users

Seems like you should get the id from the user entity. 


  1. List items (more info on action) from the user entity with a filter (more info on filter) on the approver email value
  2. Use the id of the result for the "approved by" field.


It should work like this. Can you try that?

Level: Power Up

Re: Matching Appovers to D365 Users

Hi there,


Thanks for the reply. I think this would work - the filter query I have as "domainname eq 'Approver Email'".


As it's returned a "list" though I think I just need to take care how it's looped when the result is applied at a later step, even though it shouldn't return more than 1 result.


Thanks for your help! I'll let you know how the testing goes!





Level: Power Up

Re: Matching Appovers to D365 Users

Hi Mabel,


Please see a screenshot below.


The field I am trying to update is a custom field, but it is just a lookup to the the User entity. In the example below I just tried to use the Approvers name as the value to update the record with. But subsequent testing using Approver Email or Approver ID yielded the same result


Update Failure.PNG

Helpful resources


Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!


Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!


New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!


Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!


Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.


Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!


Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Users online (6,075)