Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmangiante
Helper V
Helper V

Office 365 User Get-Manager not working

Hello,

I'm trying to create a vacation flow: when I create an item in a sharepoint list the flow starts to send an approval email; to retrieve the manager linked to the user that request vacation I'm using the action Office 365 User Get-Manager but find this error when the flow run:

Outputs
Headers
{
"Pragma": "no-cache",
"x-ms-request-id": "7ec38979-d725-4192-a54f-7513bdd48681",
"Cache-Control": "no-cache",
"Date": "Thu, 06 Oct 2016 20:13:53 GMT",
"Set-Cookie": "ARRAffinity=8ba253d5e86f7d4180a72184fa068f4eb229b65758a333ba6484b5049a354e93;Path=/;Domain=127.0.0.1",

"Server": "Microsoft-IIS/8.0,Microsoft-HTTPAPI/2.0",
"X-AspNet-Version": "4.0.30319",
"X-Powered-By": "ASP.NET",
"Content-Length": "84",
"Content-Type": "application/json; charset=utf-8",
"Expires": "-1"
}

Body
{
"status": 404,
"message": "No user found with the specified id.",
"source": "127.0.0.1"get
}

Form another post on this forum, https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Forum/Office-365-Profile-Information-getting-user-mana... it seems that the problem was solved.

I have filled the "Manager" field in sharepoint user profile but it seems from the post above that get-manager seems to work with azure active direcotry: is my error the same as in the post resolved?

--

Regards,

Marco Mangiante

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
mmangiante
Helper V
Helper V

Hello,

only to say that I resolved thanks to the post mentioned in the post:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Forum/Office-365-Profile-Information-getting-user-mana...

I filled the Manager field of the user in Azure Active Directory and the flow worked; it makes sense that the "Office 365 User" are in AAD but it is quite difficult to understand because you are working with SharePoint and you give reference to user in SP.

--

Regards,

Marco Mangiante

View solution in original post

Thanks for the feedback - Get-Manager is indeed tied to your Azure directory and not sharepoint online.

18 REPLIES 18
mmangiante
Helper V
Helper V

Hello,

only to say that I resolved thanks to the post mentioned in the post:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Forum/Office-365-Profile-Information-getting-user-mana...

I filled the Manager field of the user in Azure Active Directory and the flow worked; it makes sense that the "Office 365 User" are in AAD but it is quite difficult to understand because you are working with SharePoint and you give reference to user in SP.

--

Regards,

Marco Mangiante

Thanks for the feedback - Get-Manager is indeed tied to your Azure directory and not sharepoint online.

can you help me get this set up?

specifically, I cant figure out how to get the Get manager field to pull the manager of the submitter of the sharepoint Item. There is no dynamic content available to pull the users info from. 

Hi,

It has to be a property of the Azure Active directory for the person. For example you can query your manager directly here as it is setup in graph

https://graphexplorer.azurewebsites.net/

The API to use is this (once you sign in)

https://graph.windows.net/me/manager

Let me know if this helps. I can dig around more to figure out how to setup a manager in AAD for a person.

RajRa, 

My problem is in the pic below, you can see, the get manager field has no dynamic content available from "when a new item is created". How will the flow know whom to pull the manager for if there is no dynamic content available for the submitter?

Capture1.PNG

what is the schema for your list PTO Request? Only string entities will show up as selectable in the GetManager User field (it has to be a valid email id)

Ok, looks like the data was not populating because of an unsupported checkbox choice field. I changed it to a dropdown and It is populating now. I am getting error Manage your flows | Microsoft Flow

{ "status": 404, "message": "No user found with the specified id.", "source": "127.0.0.1" }

even though azure ad has my managers guid populated. 

Capture2.PNG

Update: when I type in my UPN it is able to resolve my manager. Unfortunately, our Primary SMTP addresses do not match our UPN's. The dynamic content available only offers Submitters email address and display name as choices, not UPN. Any suggestions?

Bummer,I don't have good suggestions as I don't know of an easy way to map the email addresses to UPN's :-(.

Anyone we can ask for further assistance? Surely I am not the only one that does not use Primary SMTP as UPN that needs to use an approval flow. 

@RajRa I asked weeks ago, "Anyone we can ask for further assistance? Surely I am not the only one that does not use Primary SMTP as UPN that needs to use an approval flow. "

and have still not gotten anywhere. What must I do to get help with this? 

Not sure wheteher this is solved...

I am able to get the user's manager by adding an additional step. In my case, i need to find the Manager of the person who is submitting the request. I took the item submitted User display name in "Search for Users" as step 1. In step 2, i gave this UPN (User Principal Name) as input to "Get Manager" . Its working like Charm.

GetManager_Flow_Capture.JPG

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rana. 

@pratapblr Thank you so much for the Reply! This should definitely solve my issue. I will give it a shot asap.

@Roberts2727 - Any luck?

@RajRa, i didnt touch Azure AD as per the solution given. Infact, i tried normal Flow way of getting the Manager. Are we missing something here? 

Thanks,

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion, we are going to implement your workaround in the connector so that it fixes it for everyone.

The issue is that graph is configured incorrectly as I pointed out originally - you'll see the same results if you use the powershell commands to look up a user id in graph like so

Get-AzureRmADUser -UserPrincipalName foo@bar.com

@pratapblr

Just got a chance to test this, Running into one issue.

After the get manager stage, in Send approval email, when I click in the To field it does not expose the results of get manager.

Capture123.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

Users online (15,916)