cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
AnotherMSprofil
Level: Powered On

SharePoint "Get Files (Porperties Only)" oDATA filters fields with curly brackets

Hi, All. I am trying to get the dreadful Get Files to work.

My flow will be triggering on "When a file is modified" a library potentially having 1000s of files, with 10-100 files modified at once.

I am copying files, and then need to get their IDs, because the "wonderful" Copy File doesn't care about metadata.

I'm fine to do it myself, but the "wonderful" Copy File does not return the ID of the new file, which is required by the Update File (requires numeric ID).

So I'm using Get Files in order to get the ID.

But since the library is BIG, I don't want to dump all the files into flow, and then loop through 1000s of files, looking for the right name and path.

Instead, I want to build a filter!

The boards are littered with messages like "Name/Path/FileRef/etc do not work!"

So I looked into the output of Get Files w/o a filter. Here's a (redacted) sample for one file out of many

>>>

{
      "@odata.etag": "\"1\"",
      "ItemInternalId": "55",
      "ID": 55,
      "Modified": "2017-11-17T00:09:13Z",
      "Editor": {
        "@odata.type": "#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedUser",
        "Department": null,
        "JobTitle": null
      },
      "Author": {
        "@odata.type": "#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedUser",
        "Department": null,
        "JobTitle": null
      },
      "Created": "2017-11-17T00:09:13Z",
      "OData__dlc_DocId": "HIWSAS2VENCA-908746327-55",
      "OData__dlc_DocIdUrl": "https://###.sharepoint.com/sites/###/_layouts/15/DocIdRedir.aspx?ID=HIWSAS2VENCA-908746327-55",
      "{Identifier}": "StagingExternal%252fHER%252fTest%2b02%252fTransparent%2bKeyboard%2b01.png",
      "{Link}": "https://###.sharepoint.com/sites/###/StagingExternal/HER/Test%2002/Transparent%20Keyboard%2001.png",
      "{Name}": "Transparent Keyboard 01",
      "{Path}": "StagingExternal/HER/Test 02/",
      "{ContentType}": {
        "@odata.type": "#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedContentType",
        "Id": "0x0101001AE9008232653842A7D277CC16324094",
        "Name": "Document"
      },
      "{ContentType}#Id": "0x0101001AE9008232653842A7D277CC16324094"
    }

>>>

As we can see, the Name, the Path and even the Link are present, albeit in a funky format with curly brackets: {Name}

So I'm building a filter

>>>

{Name} eq 'variables['TargetName']'

>>>

While trying to query for it in the $filter, I get a 400 (Bad Request) error:

>>>

The $filter expression \"{Name} eq 'TC8000_TransparentKB_Public.zip'\" is not valid 

>>>

I tried all combinations of URLescaping, single and double quotes, escaping quotes etc, but could not get it to work.

Was anyone able to get it to function? How would one address fields such as {Name} in oData filters?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: SharePoint "Get Files (Porperties Only)" oDATA filters fields with curly brackets

Hi AnotherMSprofil,

When using the action “Get files(properties only)”, it seems that Filter query only works for the custom columns.

Per my test, I tried with different functions using different custom columns, they can return the expected value, while when working with the standard columns, the error message you mentioned will be returned.

Status is a custom column I have created in the library, when working with it, expected value will be returned.
3.PNG

I will help confirm this issue on my side and back to you later.

As a temporary workaround, you may try to add the custom column to save the file name then filter based on the custom column, I assume it should work.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Rebetcha
Level 10

Re: SharePoint "Get Files (Porperties Only)" oDATA filters fields with curly brackets

@v-yamao-msft: is there some news to report about this problem? I am struggeling with exact the same issue: copy a file but unable to update the metadata.

I am curious if the "Copy files"-action will at some point give the file ID as output and if the filter query on the "Get files"-action is going to be able to also filter on default columns. 

bloodoff
Level 8

Same issue with "Get Files" here.

@v-yamao-msft any update on that? Thanks!

pheil
Level: Powered On

Finally found someone else discussing this issue.  Anyone get this to work ever?

Rebetcha
Level 10

Not easy. I used the filter array action to look for the copied file.

But they have released a new SharePoint copy action since then. The new one gives the document ID as output, exactly what I proposed as a solution.

I tried it out just now and it works like a charm. 

Use the SharePoint Copy file action (not the one that says deprecated in the title) followed by the SharePoint Update file properties action.

Use ItemId from the dynamic content list that was output of the Copy file action in the Id field of the Update file properties action and fill in all the property fields with the content you want to update it with. 

Super User
Super User

Hello all,

It seems like the only thing that work is to use filter action after you retrieve all items from library. I am not sure if there is already idea for this but such thing can be used in many scenarios.

P.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 112 members 3,082 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: