cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mourad
Frequent Visitor

The API operation 'PostItem' requires the property 'item/Change_x0020_Reason' to be a string of maximum length '255' but is of length '473'.

Using and on premise SharePoint through a gateway and trying to create a new list item with a string character count of over 255 characters.  Is there a way around this maximum limit or would I have to break the string up?

This is the error:

The API operation 'PostItem' requires the property 'item/Change_x0020_Reason' to be a string of maximum length '255' but is of length '473'.

4 REPLIES 4
abm
Super User
Super User

Hi @Mourad 

Check the length of the property using length() expression. If its more than 255 then use 

substring() expression to get the first 255 characters.

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blogPower Automate Video Tutorials
Mourad
Frequent Visitor

Thanks but how will that solve getting the data into the SharePoint list?  I need all the data in 1 multi line field in SharePoint..

Hi @Mourad 

Could you please explain bit more about your requirement. The answer I had given is based on the error you reported.

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blogPower Automate Video Tutorials
Mourad
Frequent Visitor

I’m using SharePoint create item using data gathered from a form.  The message states there is limit of 255 characters.  Is there a way to increase that limit?  In my case it’s over 400 characters.  I can split the string but how can I get all the data into SharePoint?

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,276)