cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mourad
Frequent Visitor

The API operation 'PostItem' requires the property 'item/Change_x0020_Reason' to be a string of maximum length '255' but is of length '473'.

Using and on premise SharePoint through a gateway and trying to create a new list item with a string character count of over 255 characters.  Is there a way around this maximum limit or would I have to break the string up?

This is the error:

The API operation 'PostItem' requires the property 'item/Change_x0020_Reason' to be a string of maximum length '255' but is of length '473'.

4 REPLIES 4
abm
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @Mourad 

Check the length of the property using length() expression. If its more than 255 then use 

substring() expression to get the first 255 characters.

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blogPower Automate Video Tutorials
Mourad
Frequent Visitor

Thanks but how will that solve getting the data into the SharePoint list?  I need all the data in 1 multi line field in SharePoint..

abm
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @Mourad 

Could you please explain bit more about your requirement. The answer I had given is based on the error you reported.

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blogPower Automate Video Tutorials
Mourad
Frequent Visitor

I’m using SharePoint create item using data gathered from a form.  The message states there is limit of 255 characters.  Is there a way to increase that limit?  In my case it’s over 400 characters.  I can split the string but how can I get all the data into SharePoint?

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (3,720)