cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper II
Helper II

Unable to connect to SQL Server

I'm having difficulty getting a successful SQL Server db connection in flow. I have a gateway that I use for Power BI, and would like to use the same connections for this if possible. I've tried both with and without the gateway but get various errors. Is there something I'm missing? I can't find a decent step by step.

Error 1 - it's using a db account that does have access to the server/db

Details: Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections.

Error 2 - all details were correct

Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) inner exception: Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server

4 REPLIES 4
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @smileamile ,

First, Please make sure the SQL Server is running. Go to Computer management>Services to turn on the Server if it is stopped.

Capture.PNG

Second, do you use the trial version of the SQL sever, make sure your permission have not expired.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Zhongys

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-zhos-msftMy SQL server is up and running and it's a production server. I'm sure I'm using a database username and password that has access. I'm just struggling to figure out how the gateway works, if there's additional configuration needed for PowerApps beyond what I've done for Power BI, and why it would throw me an error during setup but if I check the connections list later, it'll show the SQL connection and say "Connected" but I'm not sure it actually is. Weird stuff. Can't find a video step by step

Hi @smileamile ,

Please take a reference to this docs for more information about SQL server connection:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/connectors/connectors-create-api-sqlazure

Hope it will help you.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Zhongys

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @smileamile ,

Did you manage to solve your problem? I think I have the same problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Users online (4,658)