cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ben-Lambert

Using policy template to convert an array of strings to an array of JSON objects for dynamic values dropdown

I am building a custom connector, and have an API with an operation that returns a JSON object with a string array property named "values".  I'd like to use the strings returned in the array to populate an x-ms-dynamic-values dropdown, but Flow requires an array of JSON objects rather than an array of strings.

Can I use any of the (recently introduced) connector policy templates to transform the string array into an array of JSON objects in the Response, so that I use this endpoint in my connector's API as the source for a dynamic values dropdown?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/custom-connectors/policy-templates  

For example, my API returns a JSON object like this:

{ 
  "count": 3, 
  "values": [ 
    "Red", 
    "Green", 
    "Blue" 
  ] 
} 

...and I'd like to apply a connector policy to the Response from my API to transform the JSON into something like this:  

{ 
  "count": 3, 
  "values": [ 
    {"color": "Red"}, 
    {"color": "Green"}, 
    {"color": "Blue"} 
  ] 
}

...so that I can define a dynamic values dropdown in my connector like this:    

"x-ms-dynamic-values": {
  "operationId": "ListColors", 
  "value-collection": "values",
  "value-path": "color", 
  "value-title": "color" 
} 

Is that possible?  I see the docs for the new Preview connector policy templates that convert arrays to objects, but don't see any good reference examples.  

2 REPLIES 2
ppp345678
Helper III
Helper III

Thanks for the response, I but I think my scenario is different - I don't need a dynamic dropdown in an array, I need to use an array of strings as a dynamic dropdown (so I need to either update my API to emit an array of JSON objects, or if possible leverage a connector policy template to transform the response from my API from an array of strings to an array of JSON objects)

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (2,194)