cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KyleJ
Helper II
Helper II

Cannot Connect via Client Credentials - workaround?

Title basically says it all. 

Currently, I am able to Connect to Workato API via API key, and successfully pull snowflake data into a gallery. However, due to the fact that i would be required to distribute an API key to roughly 400 end users, this is not ideal. 

I am unable to create an OAuth2 connection because the Workato API expects Client Credentials, which is not supported in powerapps custom connectors. 

Is there another possible route? Would importing a postman collection that has client credentials set up be allowed? 
Is Azure AD Authorization a possible route, or no because the data source is external? (Workato)

2 REPLIES 2
cchannon
Super User
Super User

I don't know anything about Workato, but...

Azure AD Auth will work fine if Workato accepts it as an identity authority and it can accept an app registration calling with delegate credentials. You will just need to appropriately set up the app registration, get its id and secret, set the redirect url, and give the app the necessary delegate privs, then you're off to the races.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hi,

I believe you are trying to build a custom connector for Workato. I looked into Workato and they support Api Key (and you confirmed this to be working).

Once you create a custom connector with Api Key and create a a connection to the connector, you can share the custom connector, the connection, and/or the flow. Org wide share is available too. All of these sharing can be done without explicitly sharing the api key. Here is a documentation on this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/create-team-flows

Based on your need you can decide what type of sharing is most suited for you.

Having said that, I looked into Workato Oauth 2 document. I didn't get a chance to implement this, but it looks like a standard Oauth 2.0 implementation. You can simply implement it in the custom connector as well.

Also, little out of scope, but please checkout this brand new program through which you can submit your Workato custom connector as a shared connector for the entire community to get benefit from and improve.

If this reply answers your question or solves your issue, please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION ☑️. If you find this reply helpful, please consider giving it a LIKE 👍.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Users online (1,451)