Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guillaume_G
Helper I
Helper I

Custom connector Vs Power Automate Flow

Hello,

There is an API which I use with a Power Apps application. I authenticate (via basic authentication), retrieve an access token which expires every hour, which then needs to be passed as the bearer token in the authorization header in all subsequent requests (usual OAuth 2.0 cycle).

I have created two ways to access the API (for comparison purposes):

I have been able to call the API by using a Power Automate flow which is triggered from the Power Apps application.

I have also created a custom connector, which I use within my Power Apps app, to call the API .

Both methods enable me to make the same API requests.

Given the authentication scenario explained above, I often have to make one call to the API to authenticate/refresh the token and another call to request some data. I either do this by executing a child flow from my main Power Automate flow or, if I use the custom connector, I invoke two custom connector actions from within the app.

Bearing this in mind, is there any best practice which would recommend the use of one method over the other (custom connector or Power Automate flow)? Also, in terms of performance, is one method advised over the other one?

Thanks in advance,

Guillaume. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Whatever method works best for is the one you should choose. Having said that, my recommendation would be to use the custom connector route since it involves fewer stacks of applications, therefore should be just a tiny bit faster theoretically. Moreover, you can extend the custom connector and add more functionalities around the API. If you build a flow you are essentially building the custom connector using a bunch of HTTP calls stringed together (assuming that what you did), which isn't a module that represents your API.

Let me emphasize this one more time: you should choose a method that works best for you, since you know you use case and APIs better.

Hope this helps.

If this reply answers your question or solves your issue, please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION ☑️. If you find this reply helpful, please consider giving it a LIKE 👍.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Whatever method works best for is the one you should choose. Having said that, my recommendation would be to use the custom connector route since it involves fewer stacks of applications, therefore should be just a tiny bit faster theoretically. Moreover, you can extend the custom connector and add more functionalities around the API. If you build a flow you are essentially building the custom connector using a bunch of HTTP calls stringed together (assuming that what you did), which isn't a module that represents your API.

Let me emphasize this one more time: you should choose a method that works best for you, since you know you use case and APIs better.

Hope this helps.

If this reply answers your question or solves your issue, please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION ☑️. If you find this reply helpful, please consider giving it a LIKE 👍.

View solution in original post

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I will follow your advice and we will assess which method works best for our use cases. 

Thanks,
Guillaume.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,162)