cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Entilzha
Frequent Visitor

HTTP Get with NTLM authentication

I need to communicate with a ReST service that uses NTLM authentication.  I looked through the list of supported connectors with no reference to an NTLM connector.  I also looked through the Custom Connector authentication options with no luck there either.  I'm turning to this group to hopefully point me in the right direction or to suggest an alternative approach.  Please help.

Update: I found a reference to using the "Windows authentication" option in the "Authentication type" field on the "Security" tab for NTLM authentication.  However, there is no such option in that pulldown.  There are only these three "Basic authentication", "API Key", and "OAuth 2.0" as options.  It turns out I have to have an On-Premises Gateway to get the "Windows authentication" option.  Which is not likely to get approved at my company.

Does anyone have an alternative idea for accessing an NTLM protected endpoint from a custom connector?  Preferably an idea that doesn't involve sending the username and password to another server.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

NTLM auth is used for domain-joined systems. That's why we need an on-premise data gateway, which can be installed on a machine on your domain.

Otherwise, the platform is running on the cloud - not connected to your system/domain.

Hope this explains!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

NTLM auth is used for domain-joined systems. That's why we need an on-premise data gateway, which can be installed on a machine on your domain.

Otherwise, the platform is running on the cloud - not connected to your system/domain.

Hope this explains!

View solution in original post

Thanks! I'm going to have to get creative with this. I am thinking of these two possibilities. Feel free to comment on them.

1. Create a new endpoint on our domain that will handle the ntlm authentication and then will make the call itself.
  2. Push the ntlm authentication into an APIM instance.  I found this is possible because you can invoke c# code with the policies.

Thanks for responding.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,258)