cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Christoph_G
Level: Powered On

D365 for Finance and Operations: Choosing the company (DataAreaId) PowerApps/Flow should use

Hello crowd-intelligence,

When connecting to Dynamic 365 for Finance and Operations, PowerApps and Flow only access data from one specific company (DataAreaId; e.g. USMF).
Since PowerApps and Flows are executed in user context (given by the credentials the user is connecting to D365FO) I found out, that by default only data from the "Startup-Company" is shown. The startup-company is defined in D365FO in:
User Options > Preferences > Startup > Company

While it makes sense in most cases to just display data from one company I was wondering if there is a way to show data from all companies in D365FO or to choose it somewhere directly in Flow/PowerApps.

Thank you and kind regards,
Christoph

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: D365 for Finance and Operations: Choosing the company (DataAreaId) PowerApps/Flow should use

Hi @Christoph_G,

There are some words tolding how to add the company when building the connection:

Quoted:

"

For the Company Name, use the name that is shown in the Name field in the Company Information window in Dynamics 365. If your Dynamics 365 contains multiple companies, choose the relevant company name from the list in the Companies window. In both cases, make sure that the name that you specify in the PowerApps wizard matches exactly the text shown in Dynamics 365, such as My Company.

"

Reference:

Connecting to Your Financials Data to Build a Business App Using PowerApps

Choosing Company Name might not be available currently, if you would like this to be added in future, then please consider submit this as an idea under PowerApps idea forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: D365 for Finance and Operations: Choosing the company (DataAreaId) PowerApps/Flow should use

Hi @Christoph_G,

There are some words tolding how to add the company when building the connection:

Quoted:

"

For the Company Name, use the name that is shown in the Name field in the Company Information window in Dynamics 365. If your Dynamics 365 contains multiple companies, choose the relevant company name from the list in the Companies window. In both cases, make sure that the name that you specify in the PowerApps wizard matches exactly the text shown in Dynamics 365, such as My Company.

"

Reference:

Connecting to Your Financials Data to Build a Business App Using PowerApps

Choosing Company Name might not be available currently, if you would like this to be added in future, then please consider submit this as an idea under PowerApps idea forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
LKinsman
Level: Powered On

I am trying to learn this same thing.  The quote and reference provided above by Michael Shao are for Business Central.  The question was asked about D365 for Finance and Operations.  So is it applicable?

Still looking for information on this topic for D365FO.  We have many companies, one for each country where we have a legal entity,  and many users that support multiple companies.   I can't envision having to create a different PowerApp for each company, and maintaining them all when something is changed.   And each user would have to choose the embed all the company-specific apps in D365FO and choose the right one depending on which company they are currently switched to.   

I also saw that when you embed a PowerApp in D365FO, you can specifiy to restrict to only certain legal entities.  But if I don't specify, and switch companies, it keeps reading data from my default company!   This would also indicate that I have to create company-specific copies of the App and deploy them all, then instruct the users to restrict them to the right company when doing the embedding. 

Doesn't seem practical.  Am I missing something?