cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
panterra
Level 8

Issue with Azure AD Connector

Hi Everyone,

I am experiencing an isse with the Azure AD Connector.  I am unable to connect to it or add it as a connection to my PowerApp.

When I try to add this connection, I get the You can't access this application message shown below.  An admin has also tried to add it and then I was trying to use it.  However, I am prompted for login again in this case and receive the same message.

My teamates and I have a suspicion that there is an Azure AD Setting that has been missed.

I'm interested to hear any ideas / about similar experiences with this connector!  

Steps to Reproduce

• I had an admin add the connector to the PowerApp I am working on
    • I experience a similar issue with I try to add the connector myself (
  • When I try to use the connector myself (or add it to a PowerApp), I see the can't sign in message. 
  • AADC1.PNG
  • When I try to "Update the Password", I see this message "You can't access this appliation"
  • AADC2.PNG 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Issue with Azure AD Connector

Hi @panterra,

Please first check to see if you have the proper permission to use this connector.

Quoted:

"

To use the Azure AD connector, the account needs to have the following administrator permissions:

• Group.ReadWrite.All
  • User.ReadWrite.All
  • Directory.ReadWrite.All

More information on Graph permissions and how to configure them can be found here: https://aka.ms/p1sylu

"

Check the reference here:

Azure AD connector

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @panterra,

Please first check to see if you have the proper permission to use this connector.

Quoted:

"

To use the Azure AD connector, the account needs to have the following administrator permissions:

• Group.ReadWrite.All
  • User.ReadWrite.All
  • Directory.ReadWrite.All

More information on Graph permissions and how to configure them can be found here: https://aka.ms/p1sylu

"

Check the reference here:

Azure AD connector

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
kbirstein1
Level: Powered On

This reply is useless because it doesn't tell you HOW to assign these rights. Once again, Microsoft gives you something really useful but them doesn't explain how to use it! I know how to make a custom connector in Azure AD but why would I make a custom connector when I have a OOTB connector in PowerApps already? However, there are no instructions on how to give users rights to use this connector. 

If I have to "Create an App" and then give everybody rights to this App, why don't you just say so Microsoft? However, this is such a convulted process I don't expect PowerApps folks to be able to use it.

kbirstein1

I emailed with Microsoft yesterday and they confirmed that the Azure AD Connector can only be used by administrators (I assume they mean Directory Administrators) and therefore it is completely useless for any real-world PowerApp scenario since it you share it with any non-admin user they get a request to login with an "Administrator" ID. Why they put this "Azure AD" connector in as an out-of-the-box connector in PowerApps is a mystery to me.

So the bottom line at this point, if you simply want to see what groups a particular user belongs too, so you can show and hide things as appropriate in PowerApps, you have to implement a custom connector:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/implementing-role-based-permission/

The Microsoft employee agreed that a "Get User Groups" function should be included in the "Office 365 Groups" connector but it's not there yet.

A real oversight!

Kathryn

Super User
Super User

Oh great @kbirstein1, thank you for this answer. I was looking for it for a while as I wanted to use this AAD connector to verify memebership in group for users.

I know that this connector is still in preview, but common... this lack of detail description is still killing me, each time I'm digging some answer...

P.

sorinmarian
Level: Power Up

1. Any updates on this? Do you really have to be Global Administrator to get 1 group by id (in a flow app)?

2. Also, can anyone explain how to assign those (Group.ReadWrite.All, User.ReadWrite.All, Directory.ReadWrite.All) needed rights to an account?

harzicn

This is incredibly annoying. I have created an app and sent it to my collegues to try out and they are blocked. Now I discover that although this connector is available (with no warning that only admins can actulaly use it) my whole app will no longer work. There is no way I can give regular users admin rights in order to use this. So what is the answer? What use is a connector that only admins can use? There should at least be a warning early on about this constraint.

I guess my only quick solution is to download the Azure group data I need, put it into a spreadsheet and then upload that to the app. This is madness as it will not be a dynamic lookup as these AD groups change frequently. Am I missing anything? Has anyone foudn another way of identifying users in AD groups?

Thanks,

Natalie

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 55 members 4,681 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: