Level: Powered On
Accepted Solution

Multilingual app

[ Edited ]

Hi guys,

I put dropdown in main menu for choose language, I use the Translator connection and this works fine, but i search for internet if i can change language in all app, (including forms, labels anda text's) and I dont found any answer about it. Is posible make app multilingual? Maybe with Azure functions or other way?

Thanks for support guys! 

Accepted Solutions
Community Administrator

Re: Multilingual app

One way to do that is to use an Excel table that stores all the translations, and then perform lookups in those translations in the places in the app where you need to display a string to the user.

I just wrote a post detailing the steps needed to do that. Take a look at https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/carlosfigueira/2017/09/08/building-multilingual-apps-in-powerapps/ for more information.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Community Support Team

Hi @Pabloceka,

The App language under PowerApps would stay with the Language preference configurd with the Operating system, currently there is no workable way to have the App designed to support language selection.

There are ideas submitted on this already:

Support Multiple OS languages when offline

Force a locale language in Apps

Regards,

Michael

Level 8

Could you make a bit of a hacky solution, where you have a switch case on every label that will display different text based on the switch?

E.g. Dropdown1 will select the language

label.text = switch(dropdown1.selected, case:english, "hello", case:spanish,"hola")

I havent needed to usea switch case in powerapps yet, but this might work? It's a bit rough though

Sean 

Community Administrator

One way to do that is to use an Excel table that stores all the translations, and then perform lookups in those translations in the places in the app where you need to display a string to the user.

I just wrote a post detailing the steps needed to do that. Take a look at https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/carlosfigueira/2017/09/08/building-multilingual-apps-in-powerapps/ for more information.

Level: Powered On

Nice work Carlos, a very interesting post.

I looked at using the translation connector to automatically do the same.

I guess its more efficient to translate once then capture the results to Excel for reference.

Community Administrator

Using the translator service would work as well, but it may take some time for the result to come back, resulting in a bad experience for the user (strings not show up while the call is being made) - or if the network connectivity is bad, it may not even return the call. But it has the advantage of working on any language (at least all languages supported by the translator service, which are a lot), instead of only the ones that we define offline. Depending on the scenario, one option may be better than the other.