cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Multilingual app

Hi guys,

I put dropdown in main menu for choose language, I use the Translator connection and this works fine, but i search for internet if i can change language in all app, (including forms, labels anda text's) and I dont found any answer about it. Is posible make app multilingual? Maybe with Azure functions or other way?

Thanks for support guys! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PowerApps Staff CarlosFigueira
PowerApps Staff

Re: Multilingual app

One way to do that is to use an Excel table that stores all the translations, and then perform lookups in those translations in the places in the app where you need to display a string to the user.

I just wrote a post detailing the steps needed to do that. Take a look at https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/carlosfigueira/2017/09/08/building-multilingual-apps-in-powerapps/ for more information.

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Anonymous,

The App language under PowerApps would stay with the Language preference configurd with the Operating system, currently there is no workable way to have the App designed to support language selection.

There are ideas submitted on this already:

Support Multiple OS languages when offline

Force a locale language in Apps

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
bean
Level 8

Could you make a bit of a hacky solution, where you have a switch case on every label that will display different text based on the switch?

E.g. Dropdown1 will select the language

label.text = switch(dropdown1.selected, case:english, "hello", case:spanish,"hola")

I havent needed to usea switch case in powerapps yet, but this might work? It's a bit rough though

Sean 

PowerApps Staff

One way to do that is to use an Excel table that stores all the translations, and then perform lookups in those translations in the places in the app where you need to display a string to the user.

I just wrote a post detailing the steps needed to do that. Take a look at https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/carlosfigueira/2017/09/08/building-multilingual-apps-in-powerapps/ for more information.

RobPratt
Level: Powered On

Nice work Carlos, a very interesting post.

I looked at using the translation connector to automatically do the same.

I guess its more efficient to translate once then capture the results to Excel for reference.

PowerApps Staff

Using the translator service would work as well, but it may take some time for the result to come back, resulting in a bad experience for the user (strings not show up while the call is being made) - or if the network connectivity is bad, it may not even return the call. But it has the advantage of working on any language (at least all languages supported by the translator service, which are a lot), instead of only the ones that we define offline. Depending on the scenario, one option may be better than the other.

mbrocchi1
Level 8

I recently posted a tutorial on implementing multilingual support in PowerApps.

Multilingual Support in PowerApps

Hope this helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 192 members 4,823 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: