cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
subtlevolume
Level: Powered On

On-Premesis Data Gateway 101

We are about to go live with a PowerApp that uses the on-prem data gateway. I'm wondering if there's a "deep dive" somwhere into this tech gateway.

Questions:

1. What does the account you log into as during installation have to do with the gateway? What exactly is happening when I log in to configure the gateway?

2. What sort of licensing (o365, Power BI?) is required for the user that you log in as?

3. What do gateway admins have in relation to the account you configure the gateway as?

I've read the install instrucitons but those don't go into the detail I need.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: On-Premesis Data Gateway 101

Then take a look at the following article:

On-premises data gateway in-depth

To answer your questions, 

1. The account logged in the Gateway is used to connect to the related AAD service, so that the on-premise gateway would create a connection between the Cloud Service,

2. For the license, that depends which service you will use. PowerApps, Power BI and Microsoft Flow are all available to use the gateway, if you would like to have the gateway to be available in the service, then you will need to have the proper license. 

and the account should be a work or school account (which mostly should be an Offic e365 account).

3. If this account is the first time to install a gateway, then this account would become the first admin of the Gateway, further, for the other signed in account, until the gateway owner added as the gateway admin, they will have no rights to modify gateway settings.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

1. The account logged in the Gateway is used to connect to the related AAD service, so that the on-premise gateway would create a connection between the Cloud Service,

2. For the license, that depends which service you will use. PowerApps, Power BI and Microsoft Flow are all available to use the gateway, if you would like to have the gateway to be available in the service, then you will need to have the proper license. 

and the account should be a work or school account (which mostly should be an Offic e365 account).

3. If this account is the first time to install a gateway, then this account would become the first admin of the Gateway, further, for the other signed in account, until the gateway owner added as the gateway admin, they will have no rights to modify gateway settings.

Regards,

Michael

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
subtlevolume

@@v-micsh-msft wrote:

Thanks!

So this first account is, and will always be, the account that makes the connections to the local data sources? I undersatnd that it will also be an admin (the first admin) but it will also be the identity that the gateway uses to connect to on-prem resources until the Gateway is "taken over" by another account ( I think I saw this functionality)

Make sense. What licenses are needed for each of these, minimum? We plan on using the OPDW for PowerBI, PowerApps, and Flow

Got it. Thanks again!

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

For the account used by gateway, please check the account part mentioned in the :

(Sing-in Account, Windows Service Account)

For license, check:

Power BI

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/

PowerApps:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/

Microsoft Flow:

https://asia.flow.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/

Each product has a usage range which requires different licenses. Take a look at the explanation and then choose the proper one.

Regards,

Michael

subtlevolume

I appreciated your responses! But with regard to question 1, there sesm to be a lack of clarity, at least in my head, as to what thisreally means:

Authentication to on-premises data sources

A stored credential will be used to connect to on-premises data sources from the gateway except Analysis Services.

It's not clear WHICH stored credential will be used, unless I'm missing it. I'm assuming it's the one that was used to initially log into the GW, but can we get clarity there? Thanks again

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, August 21st at 8am PDT

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Let's thank our top community contributors

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

FifthImage

Dynamics 365 and Power Platform April 2019 Release notes

Features releasing from April 2019 through September 2019!

SixthImage

Power Summit Australia 2019

August 20-23rd 2019

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 165 members 3,714 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: