cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abd3127
Level 8

PowerApps:Updating a entry in sharepoint list

Hello, 

I am trying to update my existing entries into sharepoint list,but not able to do so.

Scenario:

1)I am having fields on screen 1 and screen 2 which are accepting info and then from screen 2 ,those are sent to sharepoint list . 

2) Now ,i am going to screen 3 where i am displaying the records in a gallery from the saved sharepoint list (same sp list in which i am saving data from screen 2).

3)Here i am selecting a entry in the gallery which i want to update .so i am naviagting back to screen 1 and populating fields there with the data from sharepoint list.

4) now after this,if i cahnge some values here on sccreen 1 or screen 2,i want to insert them in the same record in sharepoint list from which i am getting this original record (want to update the record).

i tried Update and Patch functions for so.

BUt while doing so if i try to add a new entry in sharepoint list,its not adding a new entry 

Patch(Sharepoint list,defaults(sharepointlist),{Values to be inserted in to list})

this is the function i am using for patching sharepoint lits .

How to update the same record without inserting a new record in list?

and 

What will be the condition for update if my whole record is going to update?

i mean the condition from  which update will identify which record to be modified.Help please!!! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Meneghino
Level 10

Re: PowerApps:Updating a entry in sharepoint list

Hi @abd3127

All SharePoint lists have the ID column as their primary key, and this is all that is needed to uniquely identify a record.

Hence to update the Title column of the record with ID=7 in MySpList you would do this:

Patch(MySpList, {ID:7}, {Title: "My new title"})

Obviously the 7 and the title text can be changed to functions or variables.

PS You do not need to use the Defaults function, since this wastes time in a server call, just do this to create a new record:

Patch(MySpList, {ID: Blank()}, {Title: "My new record", OtherRequiredField: XX ...})

More on optimisation here:

https://baizini-it.com/blog/index.php/2017/09/13/powerapps-improving-app-performance/

12 REPLIES 12
abd3127
Level 8

abd3127
Level 8

I am not using forms here so how can i do it??

Meneghino
Level 10

Hi @abd3127

All SharePoint lists have the ID column as their primary key, and this is all that is needed to uniquely identify a record.

Hence to update the Title column of the record with ID=7 in MySpList you would do this:

Patch(MySpList, {ID:7}, {Title: "My new title"})

Obviously the 7 and the title text can be changed to functions or variables.

PS You do not need to use the Defaults function, since this wastes time in a server call, just do this to create a new record:

Patch(MySpList, {ID: Blank()}, {Title: "My new record", OtherRequiredField: XX ...})

More on optimisation here:

https://baizini-it.com/blog/index.php/2017/09/13/powerapps-improving-app-performance/

LeifFrederiksen
Level: Powered On

I use PowerApps to customize my list forms in Sharepoint.

I have an app with multiple screens that lay out the fields in a convinient way for the user.

Because of the multi-screen nature of the app, I use Patch instead of SubmitForm to write my data back to the list.

My problem is, that when I use Patch, the app does not close and the list is not automatically refreshed to show the new or edited item, like it does when I use SubmitForm.

How can I get the same UI behaviour when using Patch as when using SubmitForm?

Regards

Leif

/Leif
Meneghino
Level 10

You can close the app with the Exit() function

LeifFrederiksen

Using Exit() does not signal to Sharepoint to update the UI.

But RequestHide() did - using this solves the problem :-D

/Leif
Meneghino
Level 10

What on earth is RequestHide()?  And why/how is it different from Exit()?  Why do we need both?

As usual there is no mention of this in the PowerApps documentation formulas page.

This is really frustrating...

I found mention RequestHide here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/sharepoint-form-integration

Thanks @LeifFrederiksen for showing us something new.

Pity that PowerApps is so messy and the documentation so incomplete.

LeifFrederiksen

Yes, lots of trial and error here...

After trying lots of complex stuff, my solution for a Sharepoint list form with multiple screens (tabs) was quite simple:

SharepointIntegration.onSave:

Patch(<List Name>;If(SharePointFormMode="New";Defaults(<List Name>);SharePointIntegration.Selected); <Form in tab 1>.Updates;<Form in tab 2>.Updates; <Form in tab 3>.Updates;<Form in tab 4>.Updates)
;;
RequestHide()

Note: I use ; as parameter delimiter and ;; for command delimiter instead of , and ; - this is probably due to some regional setting.

I probably should do some error handling - try/catch like structure on Patch? Anybody got experience in this area?

/Leif
Meneghino
Level 10

Hi again @LeifFrederiksen

Error handling I do by collecting the result of the Patch in a collection or variable and then testing to see if the result is what is expected.  This is done like this pseudo code:

ClearCollect/Set(MyResult, Patch( etc. etc.));
If(Result = What I expect, OK, NOT OK)

Unfortunately this does not work with Remove since Remove/RemoveIf does not return the removed record(s) but the list without the removed records, and due to delegation not all the list

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Tomorrow, September 18th at 8am PDT

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 107 members 3,968 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: