cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
copro
Level: Powered On

Author field when using Patch

I have created several PowerApps linked to SharePoint lists, but for the first time I am using Patch. The app is embedded on a SharePoint page.  Inserting new rows into the list this way results in the Created By and Modified By fields to be set to the datasource connection user (a service account), instead of the person who is filling out the form.  

Is there a setting I am missing, or is that how Patch works? I could save user completing the form to a new Person field, but I'd rather have it go in the Author field.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Author field when using Patch

The Author field is from SharePoint...that will be there and not able to change in anything you tie to a SharePoint list. Same with the Created Date, and the last Modified date and name (Author is also referred to as Created By in some places like Flow). 

I have some that all show I "Created" them because I have a flow that runs and does them instead of it just in my App so I have a separate field that stores the name of the person who is submitting the form. If I don't need it to send them an email or anything like that I just use a separate Text column but if I want it to notify them or anything I make it a people field...that is my deciding factor most of the time.

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

You cannot change the Author field so you can't refer to it in Patch. What I usually do is add a Text field or a People field (depending on my need) that stores the current user in that column separate of the Author column. 

copro

Thanks for the fast reply. Just so I understand what is happening, is that just a factor of using Patch, that the Author field is the datasource connection? Since SubmitForm uses the person completing the form, it was unexpected.

Super User
Super User

The Author field is from SharePoint...that will be there and not able to change in anything you tie to a SharePoint list. Same with the Created Date, and the last Modified date and name (Author is also referred to as Created By in some places like Flow). 

I have some that all show I "Created" them because I have a flow that runs and does them instead of it just in my App so I have a separate field that stores the name of the person who is submitting the form. If I don't need it to send them an email or anything like that I just use a separate Text column but if I want it to notify them or anything I make it a people field...that is my deciding factor most of the time.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @copro ,

Do you share your app and your SP Site to other users in your Org?

I have made a test on my side, and don't have the issue that you mentioned.

Actually, the Author field (Created By in SP list) value is based on the SP list connection you used within this shared app.

I assume that you have already shared your app and your SP Site to other users in your Org, when they firstly access this embedded app from their SP Site Page, this embedded app would ask them to provide their own connection to use this app:3.JPG

the end users should use their own account to create a connection to SP List connector within this embedded app. 

In addition, the Author (Created By) field value is generated by SharePoint server automatically. There is no way to change or assign to this field value from PowerApps currently.

As an alternative solution, you could add another Person type column in your SP list to store the people who fill in the form (just as you mentioned).

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
copro

Thank you for the replies. I guess my best option is to add my own field to track the form submitter. 

It just surprised me that Patch function stored a different value in Author than the "Submit" function. No big deal, now that I know. Thank you. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, September 18th at 8am PDT

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 49 members 4,188 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: