Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
CillePersille
Level: Powered On

Connecting lists and having all information in one row

Hi, I'm working on a case now in Powerapps that goes like this:
A leader fills out part 1 of a schema, call it schema 1-> A flow is triggered when the leader has filled it out and sends an E-mail to an employee who has to fill out the rest, schema 2. As of today, I have made two different PowerApps that stores data in two seperate lists. Optimally I would use one list, but I'm not sure how to get information from two different people into the same row in that list by using PowerApps. 

So this is what I have tried until now: I tried using the ID of the schema that the leader fills out for the employee to use, by using "last submitted ID" in the Flow and have the employee use that ID when he/she fills out her part of the schema. This is not very GDPR-friendly, as the employee might write the wrong ID. Last('name of schema1') schema does not work either, as a leader can fill out his/her part of the schema and employees can wait for a week to fill out their part and another employee might have filled out another schema in the meantime- again not GDPR-friendly. So as of today, I am trying for the connector between these two lists is the E-mail address of the employee. Does anyone know how one can have these two schemas have a common relation and get in the same list/excel-sheet in one row with all the information from schema 1 and 2? Is there a Flow that can do this?

What I would want the most would of course be for the leader and the employee to write in the very same app, and that the employee would see what his/her leader had been writing in his/her part of the schema, and then fill out the rest and it would all end up in the same row in one sharepoint list. If anyone has a clue how to do this- please shout out. 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Connecting lists and having all information in one row

HI @CillePersille ,

Do you want the employee to edit same record the leader filled it out before?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I think the combination of single one canvas app, single one SP List and a flow could achieve your needs.

On your side, you need to generate an app based on your SP List, and then share this app and corresponding SP List data source to your Employees.

Then you could configure your flow, fire your flow when a new item is created in your SP List. And add a "Send an email" action within your flow to send an notification to the specific employee that he/she needs to fill out the rest of the record the leader has filled out before.

Within the email body of the "Send an email" action, you need to include the App Web Link along with the List Item ID, the format as below:

https://web.powerapps.com/apps/1db949da-xxxx-4244-xxxx-27605026a360?tenantId=9e51064f-xxxx-41a2-xxxx-9785a9d6c706&ID=YourListItemID

Note: The '1db949da-xxxx-4244-xxxx-27605026a360' represents the App ID of your app, the '9e51064f-xxxx-41a2-xxxx-9785a9d6c706' represents your Tenant Id. You could get the App Web Link within the Details tab of your canvas app as below:2.JPG

On your side, please configure your flow as below:3.JPG

Note: The Employee could open your canvas app via click the Web URL link within the email body.

Then within your canvas app, set the OnStart property of the App control to following formula:

Set(CurrentItemID, Param("ID"));   /* <-- Retrieve ID parameter passed from the App Wen URL link within the body of the email sent from above flow */
If(
   !IsBlank(CurrentItemID),
   Navigate(EditScreen, ScreenTransition.None)
)

Within the Edit screen of your app, set the Item property of the Edit form to following:

If(
   !IsBlank(CurrentItemID),
   LookUp('YourSPList', ID = Value(CurrentItemID)),
   BrowseGallery1.Selected
)

Note: L I assume that within your Edit screen, you use a Edit form to submit data to your SP List.

After you configure your flow and app as above, when the Leader created a new record using your app, your flow would be fired, and send an email to the specific Employee. The Employee could open the specific SP List Item (the leader filled out before) within the Edit form in your app via clicking the URL link embedded within the email body.

Please check and see if my response within the following thread would also help in your scenario:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Editing-a-record-from-a-flow-powerapp/m-p/265...

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Email-Notifications/m-p/183482#M60412

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

HI @CillePersille ,

Do you want the employee to edit same record the leader filled it out before?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I think the combination of single one canvas app, single one SP List and a flow could achieve your needs.

On your side, you need to generate an app based on your SP List, and then share this app and corresponding SP List data source to your Employees.

Then you could configure your flow, fire your flow when a new item is created in your SP List. And add a "Send an email" action within your flow to send an notification to the specific employee that he/she needs to fill out the rest of the record the leader has filled out before.

Within the email body of the "Send an email" action, you need to include the App Web Link along with the List Item ID, the format as below:

https://web.powerapps.com/apps/1db949da-xxxx-4244-xxxx-27605026a360?tenantId=9e51064f-xxxx-41a2-xxxx-9785a9d6c706&ID=YourListItemID

Note: The '1db949da-xxxx-4244-xxxx-27605026a360' represents the App ID of your app, the '9e51064f-xxxx-41a2-xxxx-9785a9d6c706' represents your Tenant Id. You could get the App Web Link within the Details tab of your canvas app as below:2.JPG

On your side, please configure your flow as below:3.JPG

Note: The Employee could open your canvas app via click the Web URL link within the email body.

Then within your canvas app, set the OnStart property of the App control to following formula:

Set(CurrentItemID, Param("ID"));   /* <-- Retrieve ID parameter passed from the App Wen URL link within the body of the email sent from above flow */
If(
   !IsBlank(CurrentItemID),
   Navigate(EditScreen, ScreenTransition.None)
)

Within the Edit screen of your app, set the Item property of the Edit form to following:

If(
   !IsBlank(CurrentItemID),
   LookUp('YourSPList', ID = Value(CurrentItemID)),
   BrowseGallery1.Selected
)

Note: L I assume that within your Edit screen, you use a Edit form to submit data to your SP List.

After you configure your flow and app as above, when the Leader created a new record using your app, your flow would be fired, and send an email to the specific Employee. The Employee could open the specific SP List Item (the leader filled out before) within the Edit form in your app via clicking the URL link embedded within the email body.

Please check and see if my response within the following thread would also help in your scenario:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Editing-a-record-from-a-flow-powerapp/m-p/265...

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Email-Notifications/m-p/183482#M60412

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
CillePersille
Level: Powered On

This worked so well! I had some difficulties with the Patching when I tried just updating the item in the list that I had, instead of making a new row, and I was going to ask for mor assistance, but I think it was just a bug yesterday, cause the same code seemed to work today! For the patching code I did this to update the SharePoint List, and by using the Form that was pre-populated when the app was opened again by the employee: 

Patch('Schema'; 

{ID: Value(CurrentItemID)};

{Department: DataCardValue10.Text};

{'Employed from': DataCardValue11.SelectedDate};

{'Employed to': DataCardValue12.SelectedDate};

{Salary: DataCardValue13.SelectedDate};

{Leader: DataCardValue14.Selected};

{Dummy: DataCardValue28.Text})

The "dummy" was a column I made in the SharePoint list to see if it worked to patch it back wiht the new information, which as I mentioned it didn't yesterday, but worked like a charm today. So happy! Thank you so much for your help, @v-xida-msft  Smiley Happy 

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 54 members 4,761 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: