cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RSimpson
Level: Power Up

Controlling External Devices

So I want to create an app that will allow users to check out a car key from a list of keys, and when they check the key out, an external device becomes unlocked that is storing these keys.

Is this something feasible/possible with a PowerApps? 

I should also add that I am VERY green when it comes to PowerApps, so forgive any seemingly obvious questions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Controlling External Devices

Hi @RSimpson ,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

Do you want to use PowerApps to control a external device (3rd party tool) that limits access to these keys?

If you want to use PowerApps to control a external device (3rd party tool) that limits access to these keys, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

PowerApps is a suite of apps, services, connectors and data platform that provides a rapid application development environment to build custom apps for your business needs, which is mainly used to process business data.

More details about what is PowerApps, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/powerapps-overview

If the external device itself that you mentioned is controlled based on a Rest API, I think PowerApps could achieve your needs. You could consider create a custom connector within your PowerApps based on the Rest API, then specify related control actions within it, then you could use the Custom connector to control the external device in your app.

More details about creating a custom connector in PowerApps, please check the following:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/register-custom-api

If the external device itself that you mentioned is not controlled based on a Rest API, I think there is to achieve your needs in PowerApps.

If you would like this feature to be added in PowerApps, please submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
4 REPLIES 4
ContentGroup
Level: Powered On

Is the lockbox which stores the keys have some sort of smartlock?  If so, does the smartlock provider have some sort of rest api which powerapps or ms flow can use?

@RSimpson wrote:

So I want to create an app that will allow users to check out a car key from a list of keys, and when they check the key out, an external device becomes unlocked that is storing these keys.

Is this something feasible/possible with a PowerApps? 

I should also add that I am VERY green when it comes to PowerApps, so forgive any seemingly obvious questions.

RSimpson

So my idea was really more conceptual. I would ideally like to have a padlock that can be unlocked from my app, which is keep a box secure. After looking at your post, I found a ton of padlocks which are unlockable from their own app, but I didn't find one that had a REST API. Is that required?

RSimpson

I should really say that the whole lockbox/padlock thing was my first idea. All I really need is for there to be an external device that limits access to these keys that can be controlled with my PowerApp. If you know of a more elegant solution, it would be much appreciated.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @RSimpson ,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

Do you want to use PowerApps to control a external device (3rd party tool) that limits access to these keys?

If you want to use PowerApps to control a external device (3rd party tool) that limits access to these keys, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

PowerApps is a suite of apps, services, connectors and data platform that provides a rapid application development environment to build custom apps for your business needs, which is mainly used to process business data.

More details about what is PowerApps, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/powerapps-overview

If the external device itself that you mentioned is controlled based on a Rest API, I think PowerApps could achieve your needs. You could consider create a custom connector within your PowerApps based on the Rest API, then specify related control actions within it, then you could use the Custom connector to control the external device in your app.

More details about creating a custom connector in PowerApps, please check the following:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/register-custom-api

If the external device itself that you mentioned is not controlled based on a Rest API, I think there is to achieve your needs in PowerApps.

If you would like this feature to be added in PowerApps, please submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 253 members 4,913 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: