cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
musmin2415
Level: Powered On

Creating PowerApp to Replace Access

I will preface this by saying I am coming into the powerapp realm on ground zero.  So, I'm asking in advance for your patience. 

The business I work at has currently migrated everything to Azure.  Everything has gone GREAT, except when it came to Access.  We currently host Access on a local server, and we use it for our invoice & commissions data:  inventory tracking / reporting, commisions, packing slips, sold / ship to, etc.  The IT company that has helped us with this transition understands that we need to be able to access Access (no pun intended) from outside the office, so they thought that we could use SQL on the back-end as sort of a work-around.  Long story short, this did not work due to some extremely old coding that's being used within our DB -- the search function did not work, along with running reports.  We're going to have to pay a good amount of money to have the code 'updated', but we understand that this is only going to be a temporary solution.

My dilemna / question is this:

-  After reading the message boards, it seems that there are no plans to make Access available as an Azure app, so what's my best alternative?  Can a powerapp be created?

-  My company is willing to pay to have me 'educated' in creating a solution (or powerapp) that will fix our database issue.  Their logic is that this way they'll have someone on-site to update as needed, without having to pay someone (as we will very soon) to come in.  Assuming that there are '101-level' courses available, is this even a viable option?

-  Am I even making sense??  :-)

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Creating PowerApp to Replace Access

Hi @musmin2415,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

Further, could you please show more details about the Access that you mentioned? Is it the Microsoft Access?

If you want to use a alternative tool to manage your Invoice & commissions data, Inventory tacking /reporting and etc (Business data), I think PowerApps could achieve your needs.

More details about PowerApps, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
musmin2415

Thanks for the reply!

I'm not sure what else you would like to know about the scenario, but here's a bit more.  Yes, it's MS Access Office 365.  Each invoice is a separate record.  I've attached an image of all the information entered on each invoice.  (There's also an option to "Print Packing Slip" that's not shown.)  One of our office managers runs multiple reports using Access, as well as uses the search function to find certain records.

The outside IT team that we hired to come in and move us all to Azure and off of our server is having issues converting our live database (MS Access, which is hosted on a local computer) to SQL.  This is due to some bugs that were found in our current DB -- it sounded to me that part of the cause was extremely old code.  Our IT consultants told us that we could fix the current bugs and update the code for about 10-15 hours of labor.  However, they also felt that this solution would only be temporary.  So, they then suggested that we look into PowerApps, and rather than hiring an outside person to develop a solution, they would pay me (an employee already on the payroll) to pursue this idea.

I just need some direction.  Is this possible (or do I need to have taken several courses on code)?  Is PowerApps a plausible solution for our Invoice & Commissions tracking (and invoice printing)?  

musmin2415

Can someone please offer me some direction?

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, September 18th at 8am PDT

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 219 members 4,679 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: