cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ramzid
Level: Powered On

Creating flagged items from browse gallery

I'm really new to powerapps but finding it a really promising tool when coupled with sharepoint to create a mini CRM system and other basic tools to get away from clumsy spreadsheets. I know there are probably off the shelf products or apps that we could use but this is free and bespoke and very very simple, which suits us very much.

The question i have is: is it possible to place a control in a browse gallery (say a checkbox or 1 rating star) to allow people browsing the list to simply flag the item as a priority item? I'm then planning to filter the list to either items assigned to the user's email address, or the high priority items, or both. I've managed to do the filtering aspect via IF and FILTER statements, using global variables toggled by on screen controls which seems simple enough.

The problem i am having is that even though i assigned a column called 'Flagged' to the control (this is connected to a sharepoint list, 'Flagged' is a boolean column), the record does not seem to change when you activate the control in the gallery view. I don't want to have to go to an edit screen to do this basic flagging operation, if possible.

So i am wondering:

• Is it possible to directly modify a record by activating a control (e.g. a rating or checkbox) in a browse gallery?
  • Can anyone share an example or formula with me to help?
  • From what I have briefly explained, is there a better way of achieving what i want, which is to simply and quickly flag items so they can be filtered in view? For instance, some one may have a lot of items assigned to them, but I want to offer them the ability to filter out low priority ones.

Many thanks,

Ramzi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ContentGroup

Re: Creating flagged items from browse gallery

Add a checkbox to your gallery, set the default to your field, then:

On the checkbox add the following for OnCheck:

Patch(lst_WO_Details, ThisItem, {FollowUpWorkRequired:true})

for OnUnCheck:

Patch(lst_WO_Details, ThisItem, {FollowUpWorkRequired:false})

(lst_WO_Details is my sharepoint list and FollowUpWorkRequired is the boolean field in this list)

3 REPLIES 3
ContentGroup

Add a checkbox to your gallery, set the default to your field, then:

On the checkbox add the following for OnCheck:

Patch(lst_WO_Details, ThisItem, {FollowUpWorkRequired:true})

for OnUnCheck:

Patch(lst_WO_Details, ThisItem, {FollowUpWorkRequired:false})

(lst_WO_Details is my sharepoint list and FollowUpWorkRequired is the boolean field in this list)

ramzid

Thanks for your quick reply. Great answer and works almost perfectly...

I've implemented it and what you have suggested seems to have very nearly solved it. The records on the sharepoint list are updated as the checkbox is ticked and unticked.

However i thought it wasn't working propoerly at first becuase its a bit laggy and i'm getting quite a few data conflict errors. However once i reload the list it comes up ok with the boxes checked as expected. 

I suspect the connecton and the database update is a bit laggy as I get data conflict errors if I tap too quickly on the checkboxes on the phone. Is there a simple way to strengthen the process to ensure conflicts are resolved quietly and efficiently?

Thanks for your help.

ContentGroup

You could load the gallery into a Powerapps collection, connect the gallery to the collection and after the user has checked everything they want off have another button to save everything back to the database.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, September 18th at 8am PDT

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 48 members 4,531 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: