cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Django
Level: Powered On

Customized EditForm of Sharepoint List (PowerApp) being edited by multiple users - no notification

I don't know if anything has changed since the beginning because I already saw an older post: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Creating-Apps/Same-Item-Being-edited-by-multiple-users/m-p/24352...

But at the moment (27FEB19), I have a PowerApp from a SharePoint List (so no separate PowerApp but just customized from the Editform page) -->

• person A opening the item with ID1 (loaded inline a PowerApp) at 15:10 and keeps the screen open
  • person B opening the item with ID1 (loaded inline a PowerApp) at 15:15 (no warning that person A has the item open)
  • person B changes the data in the list item and saves it at 15:20 (no patch, no submit just the default Save button of SharePoint that appears just like the default edit form of a modern list)
  • person A saves his open session at 15:25 after changing some data

The data of person B is saved under the last version. Data of person A has disappeared without any warning. Default behavior in old SharePoint List would be a notification to person B stating that person A is editing the item... what happened here??

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Customized EditForm of Sharepoint List (PowerApp) being edited by multiple users - no notification

Hi @Django ,

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I have made a test, and the issue is confirmed on my side.

The custom form (created via PowerApps) in a SP list is different from the standalone canvas app which use same SP list as data source.

When multiple users use same canvas app to save data back to a SP list,  if multiple users edit same item in a SP list at the same time, only single one user could edit the record, the other users would face conflict error within their app.

Currently, within SP list, the edit conflict mechanism is not supported within custom form (created via PowerApps). If you would like this feature to be added in PowerApps, please submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

As an alternative solution, you could consider take a try add a "Reload" icon button within your custom form. When you come back to the current item you want to update from a long time leave, you need to click "Reload" button firstly to make sure the current item is the latest version, after that, you could made some changes to the item.

I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:4.JPG

Set the OnSelect property of the "Reload" button to following:

Refresh('YourSPList')   /* <- Refresh your data source */

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Django

Re: Customized EditForm of Sharepoint List (PowerApp) being edited by multiple users - no notification

Thank you for your check and workaround. I’ll definitely add an idea if there is not already one. (It is harder for me to “sell” PowerApps if something basic like this is not present by design)

Your workaround does not take into account that these kind of scenarios are too error sensitive to leave the initiative with the end users. Users losing data means work is lost and this prevents fast adoption and stops users to “achieve more”...

For me a workaround could be to create a patch action with the OnStart property updating a hidden text field of the item with the current users email address. After submitting changes this hidden text field will be emptied. This will only cause an excessive numbers of Flows when I setup Flows to run on creation or change of items... problematic for your Flow Team if millions of end users need this because you missed something this basic?

If that same OnStart first checks on a (not empty) value in this hidden text field, I will create a pop up for other users notifying them that the first user has exclusively opened the item, preventing them from editing the item. Only need to come up wit a fallback scenario if the first user closes the tab without submitting changes...

Django

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, September 18th at 8am PDT

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 201 members 2,214 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: