cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RaoulSerra
Level: Powered On

Detect which web browser and device is used.

Hello, I understood from other posts that PowerApps, for now, does not have

a build-in function that would allow to detect:

which web browser and/or which device is used

I have also seen that this would be possible by creating a PHP script

that can return those information in a JSON format and

linking that script as a 'connector' to the Apps that then could use the collected results.

Anyone already tried that? ...and have some clue on how to achieve this?

5 REPLIES 5
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Detect which web browser and device is used.

Hi @RaoulSerra,

Do you want to detect which browser or device is used within PowerApps?

If you want to detect which browser or device is used within PowerApps, I afraid that there is no direct way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in PowerApps, please submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

In addition, as an alternative solution, you could consider take a try to create your own RESTful API using programming code (e.g. C#, PHP, Java, etc) to check the info of current device or browser, then create a custom connector to connect to your Restful API within PowerApps.

More details about customizing connector within PowerApps, please check the following article:

Custom connector

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
RaoulSerra

Thanks @v-xida-msft

This idea of detecting Browser and Device as already been submitted years ago and it seems still 'in review'.

About the customer connector, I did read the documentation, for now

this is a bit too new for me. I will investigate further.

RaoulSerra

Hello

I did write a PHP script to get: Browser used (later will add to it the Device type used)

I did store the php file in sharepoint document library and used the URL to create a customer connector.

I'm not sure if this way is the right way, I mean: using sharepoint url in a customer connector.

It's all new to me...

Also, I'm not yet sure on how to use it in the PowerApps application and if the php script should be written as a function returning data or if using an 'echo' php command would be enough to get the results

All in all, it would be very nice if someone that already did something similar could share the steps ;-)

I saw the existing tutorial they are all using API key and other storing environment like Azur,

while in my case I'm trying to use the online sharpoint in office365.

Thanks in advance

Boneckrh19
Level 8

For what device is used (phone or computer), this thread is the most useful I've seen:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Detect-web-browser-users/td-p/76971

Highlighted
ehg

Hi guys, here is my solution...

In my case, I just needed my app to know which device it was running on between browser and mobile app, and then display a popup if it is running on mobile. So what I did was this: 

OnVisible (screen):  // triger //

ClearCollect(collName, true);    // here I created a collection with a single value: true //
SaveData(collName, "fileName");   // try to save that collection wich doesn't work on a browser, just mobile app //
Clear(collName);        // delete the value I collected previously //
LoadData(collName, "fileName",true);   // try to load the data to an emptied collection, if it doesn't load it is because we aren't on mobile //
If( !IsEmpty(collName),  "do what i want")      // finally, check if the data was loaded corectly and only do the action that i want if so //

This is just a simple idea that worked for me, hopefully, it can be of help to you guys. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 83 members 4,471 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: