cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YDDecs
Level: Powered On

Dynamics 365 FO connector and App extension

Hello to everyone!

This will be my first post here and hopefully I can describe my difficulties as best as possible, and to gain some knowledge.

I am quite new to PowerApps and the Power platform, studing on daily basis for about 2 weeks now.

Currently trying to build test/demo App for D365FO which needs to relate to certain table.

The scenario is as following : 
1. It needs to act as extension to Sales order lines table in D365FO where it needs to have 2 mandatory filds to check if data is populated.

2. It should be triggered once new Sales order line is created and not allow the user to save/post the line unless 2 of the fields are populated with data.

3. The data will be yield either from Excel spread sheet or maybe sharepoint list, trying to figure out which one is better.

So far I have managed to connect the SalesOrderLines table to PA and get the 2 fields to display, but I don't know how to proceed further with all the other functions. Basically I am not sure which method will be best to approach and if it is possible at all to make app to act as extension and to be triggered to start automatically.

Still browsing around all the information that it is available, like Shane's youtube videos, various blogs, FB groups, twitter , this community and etc. But I cannot advance for some reason and getting a bit furstrated that I am stuck.

I am not expecting full blown answer or ready solution, I will appreaciate any resources or hints/tips that could help me advance with this test and with my knowledge.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Dynamics 365 FO connector and App extension

Hi @YDDecs ,

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I think PowerApps could achieve your needs.

You could consider generated an app based on your SalesOrderLines table, then embedded this app into your Dynamics 365 F&O Page.

More details about embedding PowerApps app into Dynamics 365 F&O Page, please check the following video or article:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3qyA1bH-NY

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/unified-operations/fin-and-ops/get-started/embed-power-...

Please take a try with above solution, check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @YDDecs ,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

For your first question, if you want to make two fields as mandatory when you submit new SalesOrderLines record, I think the Required property of the Data card in the Edit form could achieve your needs.

On your side, you could consider generate an app based on your SalesOrderLines table, then three screens (BrowseScreen, DetailScreen and EditScreen) would be generated automatically. Within the Edit screen, find the specific field data card, then unlock it, set the Required property to true, then this field would be acted as a mandatory/required field:1.JPG

For your second question, do you want this generated PowerApps app to be started automatically? If you want the PowerApps app to be started automatically, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently. Currently, we could only run a canvas app manually.

For your third question, for Excel table or sharepoint list, I think the sharepoint list is the better one. The SP list is a delegable data source in PowerApps, you could delegate the data process from your PowerApps app to your SP List itself.

More details about the comparison between SP List and Excel table, please check the response within the following thread:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Excel-vs-Sharepoint-Lists/td-p/113092

More details about Delegation in PowerApps, please check the following article:

Delegation

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
YDDecs

Hi @v-xida-msft ,

Thanks for the detailed answer, it helps me a lot with learning. And as much it helps me , it is making my idea pointless for this app due to not being able to trigger automatically the app. I hope in future release to be able to perfom such action.

I was thinking and I have second Idea for the same app. Would it be possible to create and inster PA app in D365FO which can create new Sales order line, while you take the data from AX.
Basically to go here:
step1.PNG

And to create new Slaes order line, istead of clicking on "New" button:
step2.PNG

To start the PA app and fill in 3 fileds, as example : Customer account , Item number and Qnty, which are standart fileds in AX and data from AX as well. Then lets say to have button in PA such as "Create" or "Apply" and from there to create new Sales order.

Do you think something like this is possible and will it affect the perfromance of PA in any way? 

Thank you again!

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @YDDecs ,

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I think PowerApps could achieve your needs.

You could consider generated an app based on your SalesOrderLines table, then embedded this app into your Dynamics 365 F&O Page.

More details about embedding PowerApps app into Dynamics 365 F&O Page, please check the following video or article:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3qyA1bH-NY

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/unified-operations/fin-and-ops/get-started/embed-power-...

Please take a try with above solution, check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Highlighted
YDDecs

@v-xida-msft,

Thanks for the links. I found as well older post on the communicty which is helpful and I will start testing right away:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Creating-Apps/How-to-create-a-new-Sales-Order-record-in-D365-for...

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 167 members 4,674 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: