Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
starship12
Level: Powered On

Error message when trying to create cascading drop downs

Hi all,

I am trying to create a cascading dropdown following this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkZG2boN7jQ I have constantly been getting error message below. All of my dropdowns in the powerapp are connected to SQL server. I do have a lot of lookup dropdowns though but no other dropdowns have this issue.

powerappse.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Error message when trying to create cascading drop downs

Hi @starship12 ,

Could you please share more details about the formula you typed within the Items property of the Dropdown box?

Based on the error message that you mentioned, I think this issue may be related to connection you created to your SQL Table from your app.

Please consider re-create a new connection to your SQL Table (the issue Dropdown box related to) from your app, then try it again, check if the issue is solved.

Also please consider take a try to turn off the "Improved app rendering (final validation)" option and "Explicit column selection" option within Advanced settings of App setting of your app, then re-load your app, then try it again, check if the issue has been fixed.

In addition, please also make sure that you have defined a Primary Key within your SQL Table the issue Dropdown box related to.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
starship12

Hi @v-xida-msft , 

The first dropdown DivisionDropdwn_1 has this code: 

Distinct('[dwrept].[JobTitles]',Category)

and the second dropdown has this code which is the one giving the error message:

If(!IsBlank(DivisionDropdwn_1.Selected.Value), Distinct(Filter('[dwrept].[JobTitles]', Category = DivisionDropdwn_1.Selected.Value), Title))

This table does not have a primary key. There are only three columns in the table: category, title and active columns. I have tried your suggestions but am unfortunately still getting the error message

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @starship12 ,

Based on the formula that you mentioned, I could not find any syntax error with it.

I have made a test on my side, and don't have the issue that you mentioned.

Please defined a PRIMARY KEY within your '[dwrept].[JobTitles]' SQL Table, then re-create a new app based on this SQL Table. Try your formula again, check if the issue is solved.

If the issue still exists, please take a try with the following workaround:

Add a ComboBox (DivisionComboBox) within your app, set the Items property to following:

Distinct('[dwrept].[JobTitles]',Category)

set the OnChange property of the DivisionComboBox to following:

ClearCollect(
                  RecordsCollection,
                  Distinct(Filter('[dwrept].[JobTitles]', Category = DivisionComboBox.Selected.Value), Title)
)

Add another ComboBox, set the Items property to following:

RecordsCollection

Note: Set the SelectMultiple property of above two ComboBox controls to false.

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
starship12

Hi @v-xida-msft ,

As suggested, I have created a new table with primary key and tried creating a new app with the cascading dropdown and collections but I am getting the same error message at this stage (Had to change it to result instead of values as it was not letting me): 

reca.jpg

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @starship12 ,

Could you please share more details about the error message?

Based on the screenshot that you mentioned, I think there is something issue with your Filter function. Please check if you have specified a proper column name for filtering within your Filter formula.

Also please check if the connection you created within your app is invalid. You could add a Data Table control within your app, set the Items property to '[dwrept].[JobTitles2]', then check if the records could be displayed within the Data Table correctly.

If the issue still exists, please consider re-create your SQL Table with a PRIMARY KEY without any additional constraints. Then re-create a new app based on the new created SQL Table, check if the issue is solved.

In addition, there are some known limits/issues with SQL Server connector you need to know:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/sql/#known-issues-and-limitations

Best regards,

starship12

Hi @v-xida-msft ,

I have tried your suggestion and can see the data on the data table. I have also recreated the table and added the primary key, still no luck. 

I created cascading dropdown using Sharepoint list as the data source for now