Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
hoshy
Level: Power Up

Forms, or Controls on Canvas dirctly

Hi,

When re-building an InfoPath form as a powerapp from scratch, would I be better to use Forms, or just add controls directly to the canvas?

My current reasoning is that while Forms are the default/easy way with regards to updating data, managing changes to underlying datasources - I might find it limiting for example not being able to put buttons inline next to controls etc to recreate the feel of the source InfoPath form.

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Forms, or Controls on Canvas dirctly

Hi @hoshy 

Using Forms or individual controls totally depends on the use-case.

If you are dealing with simpler configuration and not worried about the layout of the application, then using an edit form would be the best option. There are only a limited number of customization that you can do, you can add few control to perform certain actions by unlocking the datacards, apart from that if you want to have attachments in the datasource, edit form supports and doing that with individual controls is not supported.

If you want to have design-rich experience with a lot of flexibility to filter/ query/ update data then using the individual controls is perfect for you. You can use Patch to save the data directly to the data source.

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!
2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

Hi @hoshy 

Using Forms or individual controls totally depends on the use-case.

If you are dealing with simpler configuration and not worried about the layout of the application, then using an edit form would be the best option. There are only a limited number of customization that you can do, you can add few control to perform certain actions by unlocking the datacards, apart from that if you want to have attachments in the datasource, edit form supports and doing that with individual controls is not supported.

If you want to have design-rich experience with a lot of flexibility to filter/ query/ update data then using the individual controls is perfect for you. You can use Patch to save the data directly to the data source.

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!
hoshy
Level: Power Up

Hi Yashag,

Thanks, then things are roughly as I thought, but great reminder about the file attachments!  Appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, September 18th at 8am PDT

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 115 members 4,191 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: