cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bwebs
Level: Powered On

Get Manager based on another people lookup

Hi, 

I have built a Powerapp to store fields of information on an employee. I have a people lookup field called "Associate", works fine. I have another field called Manager, which I have figured out how to auto-populate according to the current user by this:

If(Form2.Mode=New,Office365Users.Manager(User().Email).DisplayName)

What I need is based on the user selected on the "Associate" people lookup, auto-populate the manager field based on the person selected in the associate field. What would be the proper method to code this? What I have tried does not work so far. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
MartinWoe

Re: Get Manager based on another people lookup

Hi,

if you have a combo box called "PeopleLookup" where you have your "Associates" in, and a label where you'd like to display the manager's name you could go like that:

Set text property of label to 

Office365Users.ManagerV2(First(PeopleLookup.SelectedItems).Mail).displayName

In Detail:

Office365Users.ManagerV2: Call lookup for manager, field expects email or ID to be filled in

First(PeopleLookup.SelectedItems).Mail: use first result from People Lookup and return Mail address

.displayName: Return Managers displayName in label

Highlighted
bwebs

Ok, so this is what worked: 

If(IsBlank(DataCardValuexxx),"",Office365Users.ManagerV2(First(DataCardValuexxx.SelectedItems).Email).displayName)

No errors, great! Smiley Happy

9 REPLIES 9
MartinWoe

Hi,

if you have a combo box called "PeopleLookup" where you have your "Associates" in, and a label where you'd like to display the manager's name you could go like that:

Set text property of label to 

Office365Users.ManagerV2(First(PeopleLookup.SelectedItems).Mail).displayName

In Detail:

Office365Users.ManagerV2: Call lookup for manager, field expects email or ID to be filled in

First(PeopleLookup.SelectedItems).Mail: use first result from People Lookup and return Mail address

.displayName: Return Managers displayName in label

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

bwebs

Hi, 

I tried both proposed solutions, and while it pulls the manager name on runtime I get the error: invalid value for parameter "id".

This is the exact value I am using for the default text box: Office365Users.Manager(DataCardValue3.Selected.Email).displayName

The DataCardValue3 is the "Associate" people selector, when you enter the name, the manager fields auto-populates fine. However the error upon clicking submit. 

Any ideas? I am trying several things. 

bwebs

Hi, 

I tried both proposed solutions, and while it pulls the manager name on runtime I get the error: invalid value for parameter "id".

This is the exact value I am using for the default text box: Office365Users.Manager(DataCardValue3.Selected.Email).displayName

The DataCardValue3 is the "Associate" people selector, when you enter the name, the manager fields auto-populates fine. However the error upon clicking submit. 

Any ideas? I am trying several things. 

mwoelzmueller

Seems like your associate field is combobox? If this is the case you cannot just call the email value as combobox may have multiple values. Therefore I used „first“ to gather the first record. Also please use managerV2.
Please try and let me know.
bwebs

I used this: Office365Users.ManagerV2(First(DataCardValue3.SelectedItems).Email).displayName

It works for the display of the manager name but gives a runtime error about invalid ID for the manager when submitting. Still working with it. 

mwoelzmueller

Do you use it in a form? The error appears after submittal? So the error is shown once the input field is empty as the ID doesn‘t receive a valid mail. You should wrap it in an if clause.

As I‘m on mobile I cannot give the right code but still an idea. Do something like
If(IsBlank(InputField), „NONE“, the code you already have)
bwebs

I am trying this, and will reply back after some testing. 

Highlighted
bwebs

Ok, so this is what worked: 

If(IsBlank(DataCardValuexxx),"",Office365Users.ManagerV2(First(DataCardValuexxx.SelectedItems).Email).displayName)

No errors, great! Smiley Happy