cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
J-Rock
Level: Power Up

How to: Create a rule to trigger when someone enters their own value into a drop down

Hi Powerusers, 

My app is powered by a sharepoint list, if that helps. 

I have a drop down that you can enter your own value into. I'd like the app to trigger a rule when you enter your own value rather than picking from a drop down. 

Is this possible? 

I've tried DataCardValue19.Selected.Value = Choices('List'.ColumnName) but that didn't work. 

Thanks! 

Community Support Team Rank
Community Support Team

Re: How to: Create a rule to trigger when someone enters their own value into a drop down

hi @J-Rock,

Can you share a bit more about your issue?

What does “ rule mean?

Do you want to determine if the value you enter is in the choice column?

I made a test.

15.PNG

I created a sharepoint list named “test2. Add a label to screen.

set the Text property of label1 to:

If(IsBlank(DataCardValue4.Selected.Value)&&IsBlank(DataCardValue4.SearchText),"true","false")

regards,

eason

J-Rock
Level: Power Up

Re: How to: Create a rule to trigger when someone enters their own value into a drop down

Hi Eason, 

Thanks for your response, but it doesn't quite work in my scenario. 

Rule refers to rules you can set up in powerapps, in your photo example on the right you have a rule tab. 

I have a drop down list you can either select from values in the list, or type in your own value. I want to be able to check if the value is selected from the list or typed in. 

Thanks! 

J-Rock

PauwelsSven
Level 8

@J-Rock wrote:

Hi Eason, 

Thanks for your response, but it doesn't quite work in my scenario. 

Rule refers to rules you can set up in powerapps, in your photo example on the right you have a rule tab. 

I have a drop down list you can either select from values in the list, or type in your own value. I want to be able to check if the value is selected from the list or typed in. 

Thanks! 

J-Rock

Hi,

you need to adjust the fomula from @v-sheyu-msft a little bit by the onhange property from the combobox.

If(IsBlank(DataCardValue4.Selected.Value)&&!IsBlank(DataCardValue4.SearchText),set(VarComB,"Filled in"),Set(varComB"Selected"))

In the Label:

Text = varComB
Community Support Team Rank
Community Support Team

hi @J-Rock,

I made a test.

when you the value that you selected from the drop down list or  you typed in belong to drop down list, the label will display "true".

1.PNG

set the Text property of the label to :

If(DataCardValue4.Selected.Value in Choices(list1.columnname).Value Or DataCardValue4.SearchText in Choices(list1.columnname).Value ,"true","false")

regard,

Eason