Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Lucas
Level: Powered On

How to add option into DataCardValue Dropdown

Hello All,

I having an issue to bringing options to the value inside the dropdown from the datacards.

DropdownComparison.png

As you see in the picture I have to apps with different entitiy. In the left side the entity Account has a lookup field to the entity Contact and I can bring  the contactID ( which is the unique ID) and the FullName (whici is another field from that entity). Powerapps gave me those options by itself.

But in the right I have the same situation, 2 entities Vendor Invoice, who has a lookup to contract who has a field with the name of the project, but as you can see Im only able to bring the primaryId (which is the unique ID) but Im not able to bring the name or any other field from that entity.

I wonder if you may know what is the issue ? or how can I code the dropdown to bring the other fields from the entity ?

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7
Super User
Super User

Re: How to add option into DataCardValue Dropdown

Hi

Frankly, I seldom use LookUp in CDS and I use to use normal text and then, under Advanced Tab, UNLOCK the datacard, and modify to DropDown to "code the dropdown to bring the other fields from the entity".

For me this is more flexible instead of depending on CDS LookUp because once you made a wrong selection, you got to go back to CDS and modify the entities.

Anyway this is only my personal perception to be more flexible in creating flexible apps.

Hope this helps.

TQ

hpkeong
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Lucas,

Well, currently I am afraid this is not available to add fields into the Vendor Invoice entity lookup field.

Lookup field could be configured through adding relationship under Common Data Service entity, 

Build a relationship between entities

The lookup value could be configured through the Field group, but for system entity, those are all pre-defined, which can't be modified.

16.PNG

For custom entity, we could edit the Defaultlookup field group:

Use field groups

Quoted:

"

Lookup control - If one of the fields that you add on your screen is a reference to another linked entity, the field is rendered as a lookup control (picklist). When a user clicks the lookup control to select a record from the linked entity, the fields displayed are determined by the DefaultLookup field group on the linked entity. Only the first two fields of the DefaultLookup field group are used.

"

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Lucas

Hello @v-micsh-msft and @hpkeong,

Thank you for your replys.

First, @hpkeong you are right, CDS and lookup are tricky and I have been doing the same, just call the data card, unlock it and bring a dropdown control, where I can easily code the list of items I want to call.

Second, @v-micsh-msft, too bad that we cannot modify vendor invoice line, but thank you for pointing me out that you can do it if you set up your own custom entity.

Now, the problem I'm facing is that I want features from both dropdowns, I want to able to call the items I want but at the same time be able to type in the dropdown.

typying in dropdown comparison.png

If you see in the picture, in the left side I have the dropdown that came with the data card which is called datacardvalue, as you can see Im typing and the dropdown is filtering the results to match what is being typed, but I have the problem that I can't call the items I want. In the other side I have the dropdown with the items I want but  I cannot type in dropdown to filter the results. This is important because looking into a list with more than 100 items is going to be anoying for the user.

Is there a way to add this type-filter fucntion to the normal dropdown control ?

Or for now my only solution is create custom entities and set up the default look up fields ?

Thank you.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Lucas,

Thanks for the explanation.

Currently the dropdown control offered under PowerApps Insert tab is not available to allow text input, I think you may consider submit this as an idea. to suggest the product team to add this support.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
edduval

Definitely could use the ability to have user inputted text on the dropdown list.

SergiP

hi,

I think that you are confusing DropDown menus with ComboBoxes.

If you want to be able to type in what you try to find then you should use a ComboBox instead of a DropDown.

You have the ComboBox option just next to DropDown in the Controls menu.

Then for the 2nd problem regarding the content of the list you see, you should make sure that the Items property is properly pointing to the list of items you want to display.

I hope it helps

Lucas

Thank you for your reply @SergiP, at the moment of this thread the combo box was not available and the only option was the DropDown.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, August 21st at 8am PDT

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Let's thank our top community contributors

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

FifthImage

Dynamics 365 and Power Platform April 2019 Release notes

Features releasing from April 2019 through September 2019!

SixthImage

Power Summit Australia 2019

August 20-23rd 2019

Users Online
Currently online: 203 members 3,922 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: