cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DTreg1
Level 8

Image Collection from SQL (Create Thumbnails)

Hello,

I am trying to some up with a work around for the images not always showing when pulling from a varbinary(max) column in SQL. Currently, the fastest way I have found is to load the SQL table to a collection (this could be done through a view to limit the amount of records) then reference the collection.

Is there a way to reduce the image size that is being pulled into the collection down a thumbnail size so that it loads faster?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DTreg1
Level 8

Re: Image Collection from SQL (Create Thumbnails)

Thanks!

That looks great for Sharepoint storage. I was able to successfully create a flow that triggers a stored procedure when an image is saved. The stored procedure looks for the first image of the series, reduces the size, then saves it in another table as a "photo_reduced". I'm then able to recall that image back into the app, loading much faster. Seems to be a viable workaround for those working with SQL tables as the database instead of SharePoint.

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

No, based on what I know, currently there is no methods that could achieve what you mentioned.

You may submit this as an idea under PowerApps idea forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
MasterOffice365
Level: Powered On

Any image stored in SPO, rendered within a PowerApps app in any resolution as you so desire.

38 MB Image

• Thumbnail as small as: 3-5 Kb

• 2500px rendition: 200 Kb

DTreg1
Level 8

Thanks!

That looks great for Sharepoint storage. I was able to successfully create a flow that triggers a stored procedure when an image is saved. The stored procedure looks for the first image of the series, reduces the size, then saves it in another table as a "photo_reduced". I'm then able to recall that image back into the app, loading much faster. Seems to be a viable workaround for those working with SQL tables as the database instead of SharePoint.

uiterlex

Hi. can you show me how you managed to reduce the size of an image in SQL? I'm new to SQL, and did not find the way to do this, but realy want to use this the way you describe. Thanks, Lex

DTreg1
Level 8

We created a flow that triggers a stored procedure in the sql table. The stored procedure reduces the file size and inserts it into a "reduced photo size" table. Then I use that table to call in the smaller thumbnails. I don't have the particular on how the stored procedure actually reduces the file size, I got some help from someone more experienced with that part but that's essentially it.

uiterlex

OK, thanks. But that's just the part I'm looking for. Will search the internet for it. Bye, Lex

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 198 members 5,115 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: