cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cyberco01
Level 8

Looking to search a drop-down in Powerapps form

I have a Powerapps form linked to Sharepoint List. In that I have a drop-down datacard that has D365 as datasource.

The dropdown appears well for me. But, it is very tedious to scroll to search the value in drop-down. Is there a way to search the drop down value to be able to select easily.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cyberco01
Level 8

Re: Looking to search a drop-down in Powerapps form

Thanks a Lot the help and support always @v-xida-msft . Really, thankful.

As suggested, i created a combo box (to get more than 500 items) and I followed the steps suggested by you, with a modification in

DefaultSelectedItems set as - LookUp(Distinct(VendorsV2,Name).Result, Result = ThisItem.Title)

Rest as below all as advised by you:

Items property set to - Distinct(VendorsV2,Name).Result

Update property of DataCard set to - ComboBox3.Selected.Result

After this, when i edit the form, i can see the selected item and on save it gets saved without me having to select manually.

28 REPLIES 28
Super User
Super User

Hi @cyberco01 

You can use Combobox control in place of dropdown. This has an inbuilt search capability. Please make sure that you have set the "IsSearchable" property to be true.

Also, if you are changing the controls, remember to modify the "Update" property of your datacard so that everything works fine.

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!
cyberco01
Level 8

Hi @yashag2255 ,

I did as suggested my Combo Box values are blank.

cyberco01
Level 8

Now values are appearing in drop-down but unable to search. Kindly help

Super User
Super User

@cyberco01 

Combobox: Can you please confirm what you have used in the "Items" property of your combo-box?

Dropdown: Please follow below steps:
1) Place a textInput on your screen, now in the "Items" property use the formula:

Filter(DataSource, StartsWith(Field1,TextInput1.Text)).Field1

Here please replace the DataSource with your actual name and here as per this formula, Field1 is the attribute we are using to display in the dropdown.
cyberco01
Level 8

Hi @yashag2255 

I did the dropdown as suggested. The textbox filters the drop-down.

Just had a doubt if there is a limit to the number of records displayed in the drop-down, as I cannot find few vendors i was typing in text box input

Super User
Super User

@cyberco01 

Yes there is a limitation for the number of records, you can have only 500 records. To overcome this limitation, you can use a combobox.
cyberco01
Level 8

@yashag2255,
In the items property i hv put the datasource name.. i.e. Vendors2
If u can guide me with the combobox creation it will be really helpful.
In dropdown I try to set the display fields n search fields and it gets reset to some other field in the datasource.
Super User
Super User

@cyberco01 

You can add a combobox into your datacard, by following below steps:
1) Select the DataCard and unlock its properties from the right menu.
2) Now add a Combobox from the Top Menu.MicrosoftTeams-image (134).png

3) Now set the Items property of your combobox.
4) You can modify the Display and Search Fields from the newly created combobox.
5) Make sure that you edit the Update Property of your datacard to get values from the combobox, instead of your previous control.

More more reference on the Combobox control properties, please refer: 
Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!
cyberco01
Level 8

This is what I did:

Followed steps 1 and 2 of @yashag2255 .

For step 3 - items property -

Set the Items property of the Combo box control to following formula:

VendorsV2.Name

Then,
Set the Update property of the Vendors data card to following formula:

ComboBox1.Selected.Name

Once i do this, the Display Fields and Search Fields appear with the fields I need.

And I am able to get combobox as needed.

Still some vendors are not seen in the combo box list. @yashag2255 Is there any limitation.