cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
lowprofiler
Level: Powered On

Multi-valued choices in form (data source CRM)

Hi, 

I've read this great post (https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/multivaluedchoicesinforms/) from @CarlosFigueira and tried it on a multi-select option set field from Dynamics CRM. Unfortunately, when I submit the form, it doesn't work (Error: There is a problem saving your changes. The data source may be invalid.). I noticed that in the Limitations section at the end of the article, it's mentioned that "It also requires a change in the data source (using a string column type, instead of a more natural choice column type)"; is that why it doesn't work for me since the data source is option set? 

If this does not work in the option set data type, would there be another solution? Thanks in advance for reply. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
lowprofiler

Re: Multi-valued choices in form (data source CRM)

*Update*: Case closed. 
I'm glad to post this update that I've had it worked out, using the same approach that I saw in the article of @CarlosFigueira which I mentioned in my original post. It turns out I just need to change the options' text value to numeric value in the Update property, then it works!

case_solution_submit.jpg

Thanks again to @CarlosFigueira for your article. 

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @lowprofiler,

Could you please share a bit more about your app's configuration?

Could you please share more details about the error message that you mentioned within your app?

If you could provide more details about your scenario, we would provide a proper workaround for you.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
PowerApps Staff CarlosFigueira
PowerApps Staff

Hi @lowprofiler, that post was written a while back while there was no control that would natively support for multi-valued fields. Since then, the combo box control has been introduced, and it does support multi-valued fields (including option sets). You should be able to use it, and if you try to create a new app in the "Start from your data" section (selecting your CRM entity), the option set field should be editable in the form (and it's mapped to a combo box control by default).

lowprofiler

Hi @CarlosFigueira

That's what I thought, too, and that's what I did in the first place as I have used the combo box in my other apps before. However, this time the field's is MultiSelect Option Set, rather than the single select option set. I don't know if that makes a difference. The field's configuration in CRM:

solutionfield1.jpg

How the Solution field looks like in CRM client: (User selects one or multiple items)

case9.png

I've re-created a new simple app to test again. 

On the app, I've added both the field Solution and Solution Label. (I think I should use Solution Label field for the purpose based on my expereince but I'm adding them both to see which one works)

case1.jpg

Solution field's setting:

case2.jpg case6.jpg case5.jpg

Solution Label field and its setting:

case3.jpgcase4.jpgcase7.jpgcase8.jpg

when I run the app and click on the dropdown arrow, the dropdown doesn't expand at all. 

I've also tried inserting a blank combo box control onto the form and configuring the related settings: Items, SearchFields, DisplayFields to the data source, and when I run it, the dropdown expands but it's blank. I think the key might be the "multiselect" element but I'm not sure and obviously don't know how to handle it. Please advise further; thanks again. ( @v-xida-msft Kris thanks for your reply as well)

lowprofiler

*Update*: Case closed. 
I'm glad to post this update that I've had it worked out, using the same approach that I saw in the article of @CarlosFigueira which I mentioned in my original post. It turns out I just need to change the options' text value to numeric value in the Update property, then it works!

case_solution_submit.jpg

Thanks again to @CarlosFigueira for your article. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 115 members 4,554 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: