cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Larimer77
Level: Power Up

Newbie here-Some questions

Hello, looking to develop some apps for my organization. Seems a perfect fit for what we need.

Question. Is it possible to create a button that will query the user's mobile device and get their GPS location and store it in a field? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
SergioGiusti
Level: Powered On

Re: Newbie here-Some questions

Yes you can store their GPS data. 

Built into PowerApps is Location.Longitude and Location.Latitude.

Using these, if you add the Bing Maps connector (Free to use), you can get the actual address:

Street: BingMaps.GetLocationByPoint(Location.Latitude,Location.Longitude).address.addressLine

Full Address: BingMaps.GetLocationByPoint(Location.Latitude,Location.Longitude).address.formattedAddress

Postal Code/Zip Code: BingMaps.GetLocationByPoint(Location.Latitude,Location.Longitude).address.postalCode

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

I don't know about the users mobile number...I have only done the users name before.

But I do know you can get the GPS location by doing "Location.Latitude" (or Longitude) and you could store them in separate columns (which I would) or combine into one depending on your need.

Larimer77

Not interested in storing the user's mobile #, just their GPS location.

I would most likely store as separate fields and only join them if needed in PowerBI.

Just wanted to make sure it was possible. Thanks!

Highlighted
SergioGiusti
Level: Powered On

Yes you can store their GPS data. 

Built into PowerApps is Location.Longitude and Location.Latitude.

Using these, if you add the Bing Maps connector (Free to use), you can get the actual address:

Street: BingMaps.GetLocationByPoint(Location.Latitude,Location.Longitude).address.addressLine

Full Address: BingMaps.GetLocationByPoint(Location.Latitude,Location.Longitude).address.formattedAddress

Postal Code/Zip Code: BingMaps.GetLocationByPoint(Location.Latitude,Location.Longitude).address.postalCode

Larimer77

Thanks! Are there some sample apps out there I can look at?

Basically, I want to be able to present a button that let's them record their location and then it can be stored somewhere so that others can see it and compile it.

Would be necessary to be able to store it locally in case they don't have cell coverage and then automatically upload it when they have coverage again. Thanks!