cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nightglow1029
Level: Power Up

Portal drill-down list?

I'm very new to PowerApps development and the greater Dynamics 365 environment - my background is in SQL. 

We're developing a PowerApps Portal site. Our client wants a list where they can view product details, with the ability to drill down into specific details of that product. I found a post by Nick Doelman here, where he begins by demonstrating exactly the kind of thing we're after... and describes his process as "fairly straight forward features of PowerApps Portals". 

I can get the list of products easily enough - build an entity, add a view to it. I can get the detail flag on the right - that's no problem. It looks like he's building a populated form to display the relevant details, but I can't for the life of me figure out how he's populating the form with the correct content (in his example, he's selecting a class from a list, which takes the user to a different page with the details of that class listed in a form).

I feel like if I can grok that idea then I can take it from there. Apologies if this has been asked before, but I'm feeling very lost in all of this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-siky-msft
Level 8

Re: Portal drill-down list?

Hi @nightglow1029 ,

Can you share more with your issue? Do you want to know How to show the correct data in form when you choose item from List? Does your form page show empty when you select from the List?

This is because the Mode of the form isn’t ReadOnly or Edit, it may be Insert (default). If you want to view/edit/new details, you should set form Mode to ReadOnly/Edit/Insert.

If you want to view details as Nick Doelman’s Blog shows, you can refer to the following steps:

1. Add a Form in page1, choose Entity and Form, set Mode to ReadOnly
  2. Add a List in Page2, choose the same Entity, choose Views, check ‘View Details’ option and choose Page1 webpage.
  3. Browse website to check if your issue is fixed.

Annotation 2019-09-11 173425.pngAnnotation 2019-09-11 164702.png

Best regards,

Sik

2 REPLIES 2
v-siky-msft
Level 8

Hi @nightglow1029 ,

Can you share more with your issue? Do you want to know How to show the correct data in form when you choose item from List? Does your form page show empty when you select from the List?

This is because the Mode of the form isn’t ReadOnly or Edit, it may be Insert (default). If you want to view/edit/new details, you should set form Mode to ReadOnly/Edit/Insert.

If you want to view details as Nick Doelman’s Blog shows, you can refer to the following steps:

1. Add a Form in page1, choose Entity and Form, set Mode to ReadOnly
  2. Add a List in Page2, choose the same Entity, choose Views, check ‘View Details’ option and choose Page1 webpage.
  3. Browse website to check if your issue is fixed.

Annotation 2019-09-11 173425.pngAnnotation 2019-09-11 164702.png

Best regards,

Sik

Highlighted
nightglow1029
Level: Power Up

"choose the same Entity,"

THAT was the part I was missing. I had been trying to work with a view in a related entity, which in SQL-land works just fine. 
That should get me going in the right direction. My thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, September 18th at 8am PDT

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 48 members 4,510 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: