cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mahendra_Nikam
Level: Powered On

Power Apps with SharePoint

How to Read-Only permission User add item in sharepoint online list using powerapps form or ms flow ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Power Apps with SharePoint

Here's the problem that you are having with Flow and why it takes 2 Flows to do what you want.  When you call a Flow from a PowerApp it runs in the context of the user running the PowerApp.  So that first flow is still running in the user's context and the user would need to have edit access to the date. You can then invoke a Flow from the first Flow using an HTTP request (note: this requires a Premium license P1 or better). That Flow will run in the context of the person who created the Flow. That creator will need access to the list, but not the original PowerApps user. Here's an article about how to invoke a Flow via HTTP.

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/call-flow-restapi/

But I have to say that I don't recommend using either of the methods I mentioned.  PowerApps and Flow really aren't designed to work this way.  You are going to end up with all kinds of inconsistencies that you will have to address.  Its just not worth it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

PowerApps requires that users have edit access to the backend data to add items to a data source. There are possible workarounds like using an Azure Function or two Flows chained together to allow access to the data source in a context other than the user's.  But there is nothing directly available in PowerApps that allows elevated priveledges.

Mahendra_Nikam
Level: Powered On

Hi Pstork1,

Thanks for reply,

Okay, i got your point and tried 2nd option of flows.  Created powerapp form and flow. flow will get data from powerapp form. it will work with edit acces user permission but not work for read access user. flow will take current login user context.  Can you please suggest me how to chanined 2 flows together to allow access or changed current user context to admin user(who has permission) as you metioned.  

Super User
Super User

Here's the problem that you are having with Flow and why it takes 2 Flows to do what you want.  When you call a Flow from a PowerApp it runs in the context of the user running the PowerApp.  So that first flow is still running in the user's context and the user would need to have edit access to the date. You can then invoke a Flow from the first Flow using an HTTP request (note: this requires a Premium license P1 or better). That Flow will run in the context of the person who created the Flow. That creator will need access to the list, but not the original PowerApps user. Here's an article about how to invoke a Flow via HTTP.

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/call-flow-restapi/

But I have to say that I don't recommend using either of the methods I mentioned.  PowerApps and Flow really aren't designed to work this way.  You are going to end up with all kinds of inconsistencies that you will have to address.  Its just not worth it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

Follow PowerApps on Twitter

Stay Up-to-Date by following PowerApps on Twitter

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Let's thank our top community contributors

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

FifthImage

Dynamics 365 and Power Platform April 2019 Release notes

Features releasing from April 2019 through September 2019!

Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 4,192 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: