cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
EdRGray
Level: Powered On

PowerApps editor major performance issues (Windows and Web version)

I have found that once you get beyond about 5 screens, the ability to utilize the PowerApp editor (either the Windows Store version or the Web version) becomes almost unusable.  The performance is very, VERY slow.  Every time you type something, it starts to chug away at the intellisense and takes FOREVER.  Sometimes the Windows Store version just 'disappears'.  Sometimes the Web version says the session ended.

I have found (which is NOT helpful), that creating a NEW screen rather than trying to edit/modify an existing screen works significantly faster.  So I'm forced to keep creating new screens rather than being able to edit screens I already created.

And you should NEVER EVER use "Duplicate screen".  And you should never COPY a control from one screen to another.  Unfortunately, the only answer once you get beyond a few screens is to just create new screens and create everything from scratch again.

This is NOT very useful and significantly hurts the potential of PowerApps.

Need the ability to 'Turn Off" the intellisense.  Let me do what I need and then validate/check.  Please don't check every character as I type.

30 REPLIES 30
EdRGray

Re: PowerApps editor major performance issues (Windows and Web version)

UPDATE!

Even adding a new screen no longer works.  I guess the only option is to create hundreds of tiny applications with a small number of screens and then launch them.  This is not usable or friendly.

PowerApps Staff carlosag
PowerApps Staff

Apologies that you are encountering a performance issue. Could you please contact me at carlosag at microsoft . com so that we can try to understand better what could be causing this.

EdRGray

Hi, I sent an email.  Will you be able to help soon?  I can no logner make simple changes without the IntelliSense taking about 5 minutes after each character entered.  The CPU is pegged waiting.

I'm going to try to save local, unzip the contents and change the text without using your editor.

PowerApps Staff carlosag
PowerApps Staff

I replied to your email, but not sure if they are making it. Just sent you another response. Please check maybe they are going to a "Junk" folder.

Thanks,

Carlos

EdRGray

Fun with email.  I did find it in my Outlook Clutter, sorry about that.  I tried to reply and recieved this message.

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:
Power Users Community (mailer@lithium.com)
The recipient's mailbox is full and can't accept messages now. Please try resending your message later, or contact the recipient directly.

I can send you a copy of the application.  The App is not particularily proprietary, but the data the app utilize is proprietary and sensitive.

Oddly enough, I typically encounter performance issues in the afternoon or when I have too many fields in my form. It is a good idea to reduce the amount of screens that your application has and to limit the amount of times the application has to talk to your database.

EdRGray

Limiting the time it takes to database makes sense of course. Running the application is fine. The issue is the editing now. Wish I knew there was a problem with multiple screens before starting because now I cannot delete screens in the editor. So I would have to start over completely.
EdRGray

I have found a partial workaround.  I saved the PowerApp local. I then changed the extension to ZIP.  I was then able to extract the JSON of the screens.  I then edited the JSON to remove screens and split the file up into multiple smaller applications.

This is certainly not as  friendly as an integrated application, but at least the IntelliSense doesn't take 5 to 10 minutes after each character that I attemp to type.

Editing an application with only 3 sceens runs real fast again, but this is NOT a solution.

mr-dang
Level 10

Performance was a major problem for me until about November; every single action would cause the computer to crawl, RAM would be filled to 10GB, opening complicated apps took forever, and PA was unusable. I was very vocal about it.

However, I haven't had a performance issue since then. The only devices that have issue are some entry-level devices I have, but I expected that because their specs are very very low for Studio. 

Is it possible you need to update your version of PowerApps?

Another possible issue affecting your performance is delegation. PA will pull in a few records at a time. If you have many screen objects that are pulling records live, then that is likely affecting your load times.

One solution that I did to reduce the resources is to apply a condition on top of objects. If the screen is active, then show the filtered/unfiltered Items, otherwise, make it empty:

If(App.ActiveScreen=Screen1,Filter(datasource,[conditions]))
Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 247 members 5,335 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: