cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shapopojoe
Level: Powered On

Powerapps and Sharepoint List - Dropdowns

Newbie here running into first issue. I am attempting to create a Powerapp for a Sharepoint list. I would like to use have a dropdown box for one of the columns in the Sharepoint list but so far, everything I try has not worked. I have been unable to find a simple, direct way to do this. I tried creating a drop down and add data card to Sharepoint data source. I can test and data just never shows up in Sharepoint list or I get an error stating data source is unavailable. Any tips????

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
seadude
Level 10

Re: Powerapps and Sharepoint List - Dropdowns

Hi @Shapopojoe,

Welcome to the PowerApps community. I can help you.

• I'll assume:
    • You have a Sharepoint custom list already created
    • The Sharepoint column is a simple, Single-line-of-text column
    • You have some data in the list
      • If you don't, add some dummy data to make things easier
    • You have already created a PowerApp
  • First, you need to connect your PowerApp to the Sharepoint Data Source (custom list)
    • Click View
    • Click Data Sources
    • Click Add
    • Type in the URL of your Sharepoint SITE (not the list)
      • Don't forget to add the last "/" to the end of the URL
    • Once it "connects", select the list you want
  • Now, insert a Dropdown Control
    • Insert, Controls, Dropdown
  • Finally, set the Dropdown Items property to:
    • Sort(<your list name>.columnName,columnName)
    • You can try all sorts of different Filters, Lookups, etc, but this will get you started.

From here, I'd recommend watching some YouTube videos and reading the docs. There are some great tutorials out there.

Good luck!

Shapopojoe

I followed these steps to the letter but do not see where "Sort" option is for the dropdown....I dont see anywhere to point data source as well..

Shapopojoe

Also, I dont need to sort....the form in the app is a request to be submitted to the sharepoint list. I need that dropdown to reflect choises for users submitting forms. I.E. I have 10 locations, the user needs to pick one from the dropdown list 

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

A screenshot is much appreciated.

For how to work with SharePoint data, see:

Quickstart for generating an app in PowerApps from SharePoint

Besides, please share more details about the Data Field type, based on the screenshot and the data field type, the solution may vary.

For a Dropdown control, the property that need to be configured should be:

1. Items property, the actual data source,

If you would like to take use of the data within the SharePoint list, then the formula should be:

Distinct(SharePointList, FieldName)

2. The Default property, which should display the default value, please note that this value should be within the value configured under the items property,

If here you are using the Form control, then please follow the article below to customize it:

Customize forms in PowerApps

If here you are not using the form control, then to update the specific field, we should take use of Patch() function.

For example, to update the corresponding field with the item selected from Gallery, then the formula should be:

Patch(SharePointList, Gallery.Selected, {FieldNameSmiley Very Happyropdown.Selected.Value})

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Shapopojoe

If the Sharepoint list is empty and is populated by the powerapp....where would i need to add list of values that are in dropdown list? I think thats where I am screwing it up somehow...I am attempting to have a user choose value from dropdown list and when they submit, it updates that column in the Sharepoint list.

seadude
Level 10

You can set the Items property of the Dropdown to be anything you like.

Example:

• ["Yes", "No", "Maybe"]

Just paste that into the Items property of the Dropdown and see what I mean.

Shapopojoe

Yes, that works...but how do I get that info to populate the correct column of the Sharepoint list??

MW19

Did you get a soltuion on how to populate to the Sp list??

Mik_Haycock

I know this may be a necro on an old topic, however I stumbled accross this looking for something else,

I am wondering why you haven't set the List column type to chouce or  lookup in the first place ?

- this way you will be able to control the data from sharepoint rather than hard coding options into your App 

regards

mik