cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super User
Super User

Re: Powerapps is too slow to actually use day to day

@aprildunnam wrote:

It almost seems that PowerApps has gotten even slower/buggier.  Maybe it's just because I'm working with it more now so have more of an opportunity to notice it.  I have been involved in a project to develop a fairly complex PowerApps to handle work orders for a client.  It has been a painstaking process to get this project done.   As we speak, I have waited 5 minutes for changes to my PowerApp to save until finally I got an unresponsive message in the browser.  This is the 4th time in a row this morning that I've had to go in and try to make a change only to have the editor freeze up on me.  I can't work like this.  It's really frustrating because I have a lot of clients interested in the technology but at this point I can't recommend it as a viable solution because it's just too slow and buggy.  

There hasn't been a single thing I've seen for an improvement in the past year, it's only getting worse each and every update. I've never seen a flagship product get consistently worse each update, I swear not a single development staff member has actually used this in a live environment to see the massive slowness and bugs when trying to edit a moderately complex app.

I definitely don't recommend it as a solution, we're migrating slowly away from it and washing our hands of this mess.

Meneghino
Level 10

Hi @JRaasumaa  I fully sympathise.

I am sticking with PowerApps at the moment not because I am happy, but because the alternatives I have looked at would be unnecessarily complex to implement and maintain for us.  We don't need anything fancy, just some quick and dirty solutions for internal business processes.

I place some faith in the fact that something is changing with this latest blog post from the development team.  This post clarifies some of the performance issues and how they can be dealt with.  More of this, and less of the illusion that PowerApps is a 'no-code solution' will be beneficial.

Also, it has to be said that some bugs that were bothering me have been resolved in the last six months.  However, many issues remain to be resolved.

It is a pity to see someone like you, who was so engaged, leaving the group.

y8chan
Level: Powered On

I am grateful to see this discussion on the *crippling* slowness PowerApps studio, and especially this latest blog post from the development team @Meneghino mentions. I relate to a lot of the problems discussed, even just as a entry-level user of Studio.  I'll delve into the blog post and see what's possible for a beginning studio user like myself to implement, though some of the elements like delayed load seem like interim "experimental features" that will take time to stabilize.

In general, I just wanted to comment that I throw a lot of hope behind what MS PowerApps staff is "investing that same level of rigor and prioitization into improving app creation performance, and you will start to see the fruits of that investment over the coming releases" @rc says.

The recognizable database background structure similar to Access (I think) and integration of MS 365 apps is the main point why PowerApps solution appeals to me, and I'm unsure about the depth of other solutions talked about like InfoPath. For now, Edge seems like the best of the worst places to work with PowerApps studio, though many comments I see say Chrome is a (better?) browser worth using. IDK.

Meneghino
Level 10

Hi @y8chan, good post.  I would add that the appeal of PowerApps is that you can use and combine many different data sources fairly easily (i.e. Azure SQL DB, SharePoint etc.)

Meneghino
Level 10

Just in case anyone in this thread missed it, SQL Server and Azure SQL Database views are now readable in PowerApps.

This is huge, and makes a world of difference in performance when using these data sources.

Super User
Super User

Thanks for the tip @Meneghino - I've been waiting for Views to be added.

Experimenting with Views now - a complex gallery that took me days to put together (caching the tables locally then performing 'data gymnastics' with AddColumn and LookUp) I just rebuilt in a couple of minutes and the performance is way improved.

This opens up so many possibilities and so much more power!

Super User
Super User

wrote:

Just in case anyone in this thread missed it, SQL Server and Azure SQL Database views are now readable in PowerApps.

This is huge, and makes a world of difference in performance when using these data sources.

This is actually a huge change that should impact at least viewing of data.

@MeneghinoIs the same 500 record limit in place for collecting or can the entire SQL View be loaded?

Meneghino
Level 10

Hi @JRaasumaa

You can now collect up to 2000 records at a time.

Given that you can create a view that groups data as you like, this should be more than anyone needs.

Super User
Super User

wrote:

Hi @JRaasumaa

You can now collect up to 2000 records at a time.

Given that you can create a view that groups data as you like, this should be more than anyone needs.

I had no idea, that's an excellent change, I'll have to see what's been impacted in the last remaining apps we use.

Highlighted
markevogt
Level: Powered On

@JRaasumaa... 

Speaking candidly, it's flat-out AGGRAVATING to have people (presumably from Microsoft) respond to all the recent complaints about PowerApps being slow with "what parts of the apps are slow?"... 

The fact is...

THEY'RE ALL SLOW !!!

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM !!! 

Even when you're demonstrating a simple 3-screen app tied to only a simple SharePoint list of 5 columns and 10 rows, the apps can HANG, they can take more than a minute to load, and the moment you're using anything except a local WIFI connection (eg a celluar connection), then can literally (an inexplicably) take MINUTES TO LOAD !!!

That after more than a YEAR of this COMMONLY-KNOWN behavior there are Microsoft reps (again, I''m guessing) feigning innocent ignorance is nothing short of INFURIATING ! 

"What parts are slow?" 

Is that a SERIOUS question? 

EVERYONE KNOWS that ALL PowerApps are slow !!!

STOP FEIGNING IGNORANCE and GET BUSY SOLVING THE PROBLEM !!!!!!!!!

START ANYWHERE - no one CARES WHERE. 

Just do SOMETHING, because we're LOSING potential customers left & right while Microsoft reps are playing this stupid "slow? what's slow?" game !!! >:-( ... 

@#$%^&^%$#

- Mark in North Aurora, IL 

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

Follow PowerApps on Twitter

Stay Up-to-Date by following PowerApps on Twitter

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Let's thank our top community contributors

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

FifthImage

Dynamics 365 and Power Platform April 2019 Release notes

Features releasing from April 2019 through September 2019!

Users Online
Currently online: 156 members 4,055 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: