Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
baxschwepo
Level: Powered On

Powerapps managing Sharepoint Document Library as a DMS

Hi to everyone,

we have a process with multiple departments involved and so far, they work with physical documents from different sources. We could have stored these documents already in sharepoint, but this is going to end up in chaos as the restrictions creating folders etc. is not safe enough to have a unique way of doing it.

The idea is, to let POWERAPPS structure this process. For example, the folder shall be created just via POWERAPPS, so the foldername follows certain rules --> is it possible create a folder via powerapps (this I achieved, no question if it is possible), but creating a folder in SHAREPOINT is not possbile? So, can I lead them to the created folder SHAREPOINT and work in SHAREPOINT after this (Upload from documents, update metadata information, etc.)

Upload of documents via POWERAPPS: I managed the upload from documents in a sharepoint list via POWERAPPS and managed to move these docoments to the SHAREPOINT library using FLOW. But the attachement picker is very inconvenient (just one pick per time) and I don't know if the update of the metadata can be achieved via powerapps or just in SHAREPOINT? Any suggestions for the upload process?

Do you think my plan can somehow be achieved to create a secure process to let "IT dummies" create a folder, upload documents and manage documents in this process? (users are definitely not used to "open" processes and must be guided in a secure and safe process)

Thank you for your suggestions and input.

Bernd

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Powerapps managing Sharepoint Document Library as a DMS

Hi @baxschwepo ,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

Do you want to create a folder in your SP Library using PowerApps?

If you want to create a folder in your SP Library using PowerApps, I afraid that there is no direct way to achieve your needs currently.

As an alternative solution, I think Microsoft Flow could achieve your needs. You could consider create a flow, add a "Send an HTTP request to SharePoint" action within the flow, then use this action to call SharePoint REST API to create folder in your Library.

Please check and see if the following blog would help in your scenario:

http://www.ktskumar.com/2018/05/add-new-folder-sharepoint-list-using-microsoft-flow/

https://veenstra.me.uk/2018/08/09/microsoft-flow-create-a-folder-in-a-document-library-using-microso...

In addition, if you want to upload files from your app to your SP Library currently, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

As an alternative solution, you could consider create a SP list on your side, and generate an app based on the SP list. Then within the Edit form, enable the Attachments control, and use it to upload files into your SP list.

At the same time, you need to create a flow to detect/listen if there is a new item created in your SP list, if true, extract the attachment files from the new added item, then save them into your SP Library:6.JPG

7.JPG

More details about saving attachment files from a SP List item into a SP library, please check the following thread:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Flow-Discussion/Copy-SharePoint-Lists-attachments-to-a-S...

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
1 REPLY 1
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Powerapps managing Sharepoint Document Library as a DMS

Hi @baxschwepo ,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

Do you want to create a folder in your SP Library using PowerApps?

If you want to create a folder in your SP Library using PowerApps, I afraid that there is no direct way to achieve your needs currently.

As an alternative solution, I think Microsoft Flow could achieve your needs. You could consider create a flow, add a "Send an HTTP request to SharePoint" action within the flow, then use this action to call SharePoint REST API to create folder in your Library.

Please check and see if the following blog would help in your scenario:

http://www.ktskumar.com/2018/05/add-new-folder-sharepoint-list-using-microsoft-flow/

https://veenstra.me.uk/2018/08/09/microsoft-flow-create-a-folder-in-a-document-library-using-microso...

In addition, if you want to upload files from your app to your SP Library currently, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

As an alternative solution, you could consider create a SP list on your side, and generate an app based on the SP list. Then within the Edit form, enable the Attachments control, and use it to upload files into your SP list.

At the same time, you need to create a flow to detect/listen if there is a new item created in your SP list, if true, extract the attachment files from the new added item, then save them into your SP Library:6.JPG

7.JPG

More details about saving attachment files from a SP List item into a SP library, please check the following thread:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Flow-Discussion/Copy-SharePoint-Lists-attachments-to-a-S...

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 4,834 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: