cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nirvana_moksh
Level: Powered On

Same Item Being edited by multiple users

Hello All,

I have a PowerApp which writes back to SharePoint List and also reads from the same one and users will also have the ability to edit the previously saved or existing items in that SharePoint List. My question is - what happens if mutiple users try to edit the same item at the same time? Will PowerApps error out saying someone else is making a change to this as well or will it allow it? 

Thank You

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
AMerrill
Level 8

Re: Same Item Being edited by multiple users

PowerApps should error out, and let you know that the record you are trying to update has already been edited. I cannot find source documentation, so I will let someone else provide that. I will add it later if I can find it.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

(Update) Found it: Errors

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @nirvana_moksh,

Have you solved your problem?

I agree with @AMerrill's thought almost. If multiple users edit the same record at the same time, only single one user could edit the record, the other users would face conflict error within their app.

More details about the errors type within the app when submitting the form, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-errors#description

Currently, you could re-edit the same record only when the other user saved his/her modification into the SP list.

If you have solved your problem, please go ahead and click “Accept as Solution” so that this thread will be marked for other users to easily identify.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
8 REPLIES 8
AMerrill
Level 8

PowerApps should error out, and let you know that the record you are trying to update has already been edited. I cannot find source documentation, so I will let someone else provide that. I will add it later if I can find it.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

(Update) Found it: Errors

nirvana_moksh

Awesome! Thanks a lot, so once the item is done being edited and is saved by a user , then the other user can re-edit it correct?

AMerrill
Level 8

Yes, you are correct.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @nirvana_moksh,

Have you solved your problem?

I agree with @AMerrill's thought almost. If multiple users edit the same record at the same time, only single one user could edit the record, the other users would face conflict error within their app.

More details about the errors type within the app when submitting the form, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-errors#description

Currently, you could re-edit the same record only when the other user saved his/her modification into the SP list.

If you have solved your problem, please go ahead and click “Accept as Solution” so that this thread will be marked for other users to easily identify.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Django

I don't know if anything has changed since this post started but at the moment (27FEB19), I have a PowerApp from a SharePoint List (so no separate PowerApp but just customized from the Editform page) -->

• person A opening the item with ID1 (loaded inline a PowerApp) at 15:10 and keeps the screen open
  • person B opening the item with ID1 (loaded inline a PowerApp) at 15:15 (no warning that person A has the item open)
  • person B changes the data in the list item and saves it at 15:20 (no patch, no submit just the default Save button of SharePoint that appears just like the default edit form of a modern list)
  • person A saves his open session at 15:25 after changing some data

The data of person B is saved under the last version. Data of person A has disappeared without any warning. Default behavior in old SharePoint List would be a notification to person B stating that person A is editing the item... what happened here??

Mayuresh
Level: Power Up

Hi Kris,

Is there any way we can inform/alert user when they try to edit item saying that someone elase is already updating this record.

Thanks & Regards,

Mayuresh

LilBit
Level: Power Up

Hi @Django ,  Did you ever get a solution to the issue?  I'm likely going to be facing a similar issue with my new app. 

Django

Hi @LilBit

I ended up creating an own check-out / check-in mechanism with a hidden text field "EditingUserMail":

1. User A opens Item1 in edit mode (I added custom formatting to a SharePoint column with an Edit icon (pencil) and a separate View icon (glasses) so a parameter is passed letting the PowerApp know user wants to edit.
    • The OnStart Action of the PowerApp checks if EditingUserMail is empty and if so it will be patched with the email address of current user
  2. User B opens Item1 in edit mode
    • The OnStart Action of the PowerApp checks if EditingUserMail is empty and if because it is not empty now we will show a Popup that User A is editing the item
  3. User B saves changes and the save clears the EditingUserMail field

A bit of a workaround and quite some work but once it is working, we can control everything (especially since the last release of the ConfirmExit option: https://publish.twitter.com/?query=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FLohnDjango%2Fstatus%2F113547081418111...