cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Piliglish
Level: Power Up

navigate to next item

Hi,

I am trying to add a button to a Powerapps ap that will take the viewer to the next item in the list.

I have built an app using a sharepoint list and there are 190 items in the list.

When I run the app I can see the first item, but I now want to be able to see all of the items by using a button that will not only take me to the next item but another button that will take me back to the beginning.

As this is a standard button in all databases I am amazed that this appears to be impossible within Powerapps.

Any help, please.

I have tried to use the update function to ID+1 on the select function of the button, but this does not work.

Peter

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
ChrisR
Level 8

Re: navigate to next item

Taking a guess at what you’re asking, so I'll assume you have a form that displays an initial record, the 1st record by ID.  You want a button that will make your form display the next record by sequential ID.

As @CMee pointed out, deleting a record would cause an issue with just doing an ID+1.

Not being entirely sure of your situation, but I’ll take a shot:

OnStart or OnVisible or however you want to set the initial record ID:

Set(varID,First(DataSource).ID)

In the Forms Item Property:

LookUp(DataSource,ID = varID)

In the “Next” button’s onselect property:

Set(varID,First(Filter(DataSource,ID > varID)).ID)

In the “Start Over” button’s OnSelect property:

Above is a direct way but not the most efficient way and it's not delegable. I personally would load the SP list in a collection first, but since I’m not entirely sure what you're doing I'll just keep it simple.

Hope it's what you are loking for,

Chris

PowerApps Training

Piliglish

Hi Chris

Perfect !!

This is exactly what I have been looking for and you are the first person who has provided me with the way to achieve exactly what I was looking for.

I have spoken to over 6 different Microsoft Support technicians, including 3 screen views and not one of them was able to help.

Thank you very much

Peter

6 REPLIES 6
CMee
Level: Powered On

A couple of questions,

1. Are items often deleted from your SP list? If so then ID+1 will not work as the next item might not have an ID = ID+1.
  2. Which update function are you referring to? I'm guessing UpdateContext?
  3. How are you sorting your data? If it isn't by a numeric field I can't think of how this would be acheivable.
ChrisR
Level 8

Taking a guess at what you’re asking, so I'll assume you have a form that displays an initial record, the 1st record by ID.  You want a button that will make your form display the next record by sequential ID.

As @CMee pointed out, deleting a record would cause an issue with just doing an ID+1.

Above is a direct way but not the most efficient way and it's not delegable. I personally would load the SP list in a collection first, but since I’m not entirely sure what you're doing I'll just keep it simple.

Chris

PowerApps Training

Piliglish

Hi Chris

Perfect !!

This is exactly what I have been looking for and you are the first person who has provided me with the way to achieve exactly what I was looking for.

I have spoken to over 6 different Microsoft Support technicians, including 3 screen views and not one of them was able to help.

Thank you very much

Peter

Highlighted
tlroze
Level: Powered On

So - if I want to put a button in this screen

ss1.PNGwant this button to navigate to next item

to navigate to the next item:

ss2.PNGI see your directions, but not quite sure where i would set that OnVisible command...

here are my screens and their associated items

ss3.PNGss4.PNGss5.PNG

Thanks in advance!! Smiley Happy

davidstone
Level 8

While this is marked as solved because the solution 'works', there are still limitations.

• Doesn't work with delegation > 500 (or max 2000) records
  • Doesn't let you easily sort and browse by anything other than ID

I have therefore added an idea in the PowerApps Ideas forum to make this into a proper function. You can upvote it here: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Next-and-previous-item-function/idi-p/262340

Prithviraj0507

Hi Chris,

When i used back arrow functionality, it works fine.but when i clicked it from the item id 1, no items display page is opened---How to avaoid this?

Thanks

Prithviraj

@ChrisR wrote:

Chris

PowerApps Training