Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iwaldman
Helper II
Helper II

Portals Web API support for Microsoft Dataverse custom actions

Hi forum,

I cannot seem to find any information regarding this feature other than the link below. Anyone have additional information? 

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Portals/Portals-Web-API-support-for-Microsoft-Dataver...

Regards,

Irvin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
iwaldman
Helper II
Helper II

I've subsequently learned that this feature was deprioritized with no plan for delivery. This is unfortunate as it eliminates the need for a companion app. I will continue to monitor with fingers crossed.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
hugobernier
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @iwaldman ,

Assuming that you're inquiring specifically about the custom APIs, you can call them by following these instructions:

https://docs.microsoft.com/power-apps/developer/data-platform/custom-api#invoking-custom-apis

Make sure that you configured the proper API settings on your site first, by following these instructions:

https://docs.microsoft.com/power-apps/maker/portals/web-api-overview

I hope this helps?

iwaldman
Helper II
Helper II

Hi @hugobernier , 

Thank you for your response.

My use case is calling custom actions using Portals Web API.

I can make the call from Portals and it does succeed with a 200 OK. However, I get an empty response.

appAjax('Calling Custom Action...', {
          type: "POST",
          url: "/_api/contacts(" + recordObj.id + ")/Microsoft.Dynamics.CRM.bulldogs_PortalCustomAction",
          contentType: "application/json",
          data: JSON.stringify({"InputArg": "Hello"}),
          success: function(res) {
            console.log(res)
          }
        });

This behavior is documented in this blog post Call custom action using WebApi in PowerApps portals/ dynamics 365 portals  which seems to indicate that this feature while functional is not really Preview or GA nor can I find it in Microsoft documentation.  

Also, I had to bind it to an entity when I prefer to use an unbound action.

Kind regards,

Irvin 

image.png

iwaldman
Helper II
Helper II

I've subsequently learned that this feature was deprioritized with no plan for delivery. This is unfortunate as it eliminates the need for a companion app. I will continue to monitor with fingers crossed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Users online (4,013)