cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
vffdd
Level: Powered On

Cascading dropdowns and text box

I have  a series of 3 cascading drop downs that work great.   The final one has this formula

Distinct(Filter(PL3,ProcessLevel2=DDPL2.Selected.Value),ProcessLevel3)

I want a 4th option that gives a result based on the selection from the above DD (DDPL3)

I use this function

Distinct(Filter(PL3,ProcessLevel3=DDPL3.Selected.Value),Level3Description)

and again it works fine if the field is a dropdown.  However the final field will only ever have 1 answer so I don't need a drop down I just want a text box.  but if I use the above formula in a text box it doesn't work ! How do I get the same result in a text box rather than a drop down?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TimRohr
Level 10

Re: Cascading dropdowns and text box

Quick Cheat: Set the DisplayMode of the DropDown to be "View." This will make it look like a TextBox (but won't allow updating... which migh be exactly what you're looking for).

Labe/TextBox Workaround: Wrap your formula in a First().field construction and put that in the Text property of a Label or the Default property of a Textbox. Basically, you're getting the first record out of the table returned by your Distinct() statement, then specifically accessing the field you want to display.

First(Distinct(Filter(PL3,ProcessLevel3=DDPL3.Selected.Value),Level3Description)).Level3Description
2 REPLIES 2
TimRohr
Level 10

Quick Cheat: Set the DisplayMode of the DropDown to be "View." This will make it look like a TextBox (but won't allow updating... which migh be exactly what you're looking for).

Labe/TextBox Workaround: Wrap your formula in a First().field construction and put that in the Text property of a Label or the Default property of a Textbox. Basically, you're getting the first record out of the table returned by your Distinct() statement, then specifically accessing the field you want to display.

First(Distinct(Filter(PL3,ProcessLevel3=DDPL3.Selected.Value),Level3Description)).Level3Description
vffdd
Level: Powered On

"Quick Cheat: Set the DisplayMode of the DropDown to be "View." This will make it look like a TextBox (but won't allow updating... which migh be exactly what you're looking for)."  Perfect !!  @TimRohr  should have thought of that ! thanks Smiley Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, August 21st at 8am PDT

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Let's thank our top community contributors

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

FifthImage

Dynamics 365 and Power Platform April 2019 Release notes

Features releasing from April 2019 through September 2019!

SixthImage

Power Summit Australia 2019

August 20-23rd 2019

Users Online
Currently online: 34 members 4,243 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: